Are the recommondations on a Periodic test correct.

Sponsored Links
I probably shouldnt have looked but there was no seal. Yes the supply looked cast iron, the neutral had two small wires twisted with some asbestos or something round it and the live had a slightly larger wire about the size of 1.5 copper wire[/quote]

I was going to say that sounds like your neutral isn't fused, but a solid wire passes through the neutral block. But perhaps a photo would be a better idea.

Two relevant golden rules...

1) Don't **** around with cast iron cutouts
2) Don't **** around with anything with asbestos in it

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
last question on periodics etc.

I pointed out to my boss few months ago when he was doing a PIR that he hadnt put any observation down for a FCU and fan directly above an electric shower, he told me it doesn't really matter. I wasn't very impressed with his answer and thinks he just fobbed me off as hed already give the report to customer.
Would the FCU and fan both be code 2s

Have a look at the zones in a bathroom in section 701 and then decide.
Pay special attention to the height of the ceiling at that propery before challenging him on it.

Would have thought the distance from the floor to the lowest point of the fcu or fan would be more relevant.

Just to concur a couple of points: That neutral "fuse" may well be a solid link, but cast-iron cut-outs are generally changed if you ring your DNO and moan about it.

And the 16th was issued in 1991, then reprinted as BS7671: 1992 in, not surprisingly, 1992.

Would have thought the distance from the floor to the lowest point of the fcu or fan would be more relevant.

If the distance from the floor to the fcu or fan is more than 2.25m then it is outside any bathroom zone. That is why I said you should look at Section 701. Have you?

Mind you, any accessories must be suitable for their environment.. Are they?

My mum had a periodic test done at a property she rents out and it has come back with a number of observations and recommendations on it (along with a bill to put it right). Shes asked me to check it over for her. I think theyre wrong with what theyve put but if you can let me know either way.
One point is there is no RCD on the consumer unit - but as the install is around 10 years or so old it wasn't relevent so i dont think it means an observation at all never mind a code 2 (so they say it definatly needs new CU)
no warning labels regarding old wiring code 3 - but the entire install is in black and red so isnt needed in my opinion.
no mains powered smoke alarms code 2 - there are battery powered ones.
Also the bill is £800 for new CU and smokes which i think is laughable. Are they just trying to get some unnecssary work done out of my mum.

Also I was on a job recently and the supply fuses were rewireable ones for both the live and neutral. Also the earth was on an earth clamp on the armour coming in. I belive this is not good, but should this definatly need to be changed and is it the responsibilty of the owner.

Thanks

I believe that PIR's for landlords are always 'bumped up' to get more money.

One of mine recently showed no bonding to gas and water main, no RCD on the bathroom services, CU to be upgraded to 17th standards and a full rewire due because of the old wiring. Even though the gas meter is within 400mm of the CU and bonded both sides with 16mm and all completely visible. All the water pipes are plastic, even the stop cock. The CU isolator is a 80A RCD and the flat was built in 1992.
They said they needed another fee to recheck the flat and stood by their report.
The landlords PIR from 15 months previous from the same company was correct.
This was resolved when I advised my letting agent that I will not pay for a false PIR and he advised them they were to be removed from his suppliers list!
Following this when the same inspector did a PIR on the other similar flat and found the gas was bonded on the supply side with 6mm, he corrected it by adding a new clamp on the consumer side and 16mm cable there and then FOC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back