Inspection and testing on rented property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been arguing with my son as to what is allowed in a rented property. I had thought that code 4 was not a problem he seems to think it must comply with BS7671:2008.

His new home has a 30ma RCD feeding all and seems to be a TT supply at least can see earth rod and ELI is 4.3ohm before any disconnections to test. He seems to think the land lord must change this to a twin RCD at least where I think that unless it starts to trip then broken no rules.

He wants to test the house but I question testing by interested parties and since no longer a sole trader he no longer has insurance so although he has skill and equipment I would have thought the testing would need to be done by an independent guy who has insurance.

Both he and myself are Electricians and in both cases we have done a lot of testing but as normal with father and son don't see eye to eye on some aspects. For example I would always test rod with nothing connected he seems to think is total reading is low then no need to disconnect to test.

But in both cases we would produce a report and it was up to the owner to decide what action is taken and often with old 4 code system only code 1 items would be corrected.

Thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Landlord needs to be talked to, he may choose to ignore the tennants tests since they are not impartial.

However he may think it's a top idea, since you can't charge for the PIR due to insurance (or lack of).

It could also pi55 him off if there's anything found that will cost money to resolve.

If the property and its electrics met the necessary regulations when it was built/installed then it's legal now. If everywhere had to be amended to meet new regs when new regs came out, we'd all be spending all out time updating red and black wires to brown and blue. So no, the landlord doesn't have to install a dual-RCD CU (this is not what the 17th eiditon requires, anyway, just the simplest way to meet 17th edition requirements), the landlord just has to ensure that the property is safe. And as the Wiring regulations are not a legal document, they are not necessarily the baseline for that safety call.

PJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back