Are the self maintenance aspects of silicone and monocouche render over-rated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How long have they been used for rendering also, I dont want to use anything that hasnt been tested by time! Is good old sand and cement still superior, or are their supporters afraid of change???

Sponsored Links
none will last as long as traditional cement/ lime renders, but they’re good enough if applied correctly.

I do not know the answer but I have seen those kind of finishes looking grubby after a few years...

I do not know the answer but I have seen those kind of finishes looking grubby after a few years...

When you say grubby, how so?

All the builders i've talked to have said its very resilient and when it does get dirty you can jet wash clean without dislodging it - I'm sceptical about that and would be hesitant to have a go with a full power jet

Sponsored Links
When you say grubby, how so?

All the builders i've talked to have said its very resilient and when it does get dirty you can jet wash clean without dislodging it - I'm sceptical about that and would be hesitant to have a go with a full power jet

By grubby, I mean grubby looking. It may well be the case that a pressure wash will clean them, but the people selling the finishes would have you believe that any dirt is repelled, presumably they mean that rain water will wash away any dirt. All I can say is that, anecdotally, that is not true.

It is possibly the case that the houses that I have seen that look grubby had not been pressure washed, but, again, I am not aware of any marketing material that say you need to hire scaffolding every few years to pressure wash the outside of your house. The finish is sold as being maintenance free.

Sorry, if you want to pay it for then go ahead. My experience is based upon what I have seen. I am a decorator, ultimately, I want to save my customers money. If they said "this finish will save us X amounts of pounds over X amounts of years", then yeah... I would suggest that they go for it. They will then have more money to pay me to work indoors (free from the rain). I get paid either way. That is a clumsy rebuttal to some of the firms selling those products who suggest that builders or decorators that are detractors are part of some kind of global conspiracy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back