Are ther alternative to Wooden Post on Deck Foundation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Deck "wood" post that is nailed on the cement foundation is rotten.
I understand there are synthetic deck materials made of some kind of plastic for the deck flooring.

Are there similar materials for the deck "wood" posts?:rolleyes:
Is there a way to make the wood post resistant to rot? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the joist that carries the decking boards? If fixed into concrete you should use dpc (sill seal?) between timber and concrete, and the wood should also be pressure treated. Also make sure that there are no low areas on the floor where water can sit against the wood.

Deluks said:
Do you mean the joist that carries the decking boards? If fixed into concrete you should use dpc (sill seal?) between timber and concrete, and the wood should also be pressure treated. Also make sure that there are no low areas on the floor where water can sit against the wood.

Thanks for the post Deluks
there is a concrete foundation at the level of the ground then one foot wooden post on top of it. On top of the wooden post is a long horizontal where the deck floor is nailed.

What is dpc? sill seal? (I am kinda newbie in deck & carpentry.)

Sponsored Links
So the foot long post is set in the concrete? That will speed up decay but should still last a good 5-10 years at least, providing it's pressure treated.
Ideally timber supports like that should be set in a metal bracket, away from the ground level.

Dpc (damp proof course) is a roll of plastic a few inches wide, and you put it down between a length of timber and floor. It's mainly used in the UK in brickwork to prevent damp from going up the wall.
I believe sill seal is a similar product but made from thin foam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back