Are there any consumer units that have 3 bus bars?

My shed 'backs' on to the wall where the CU is (with a gap of about 1.5m), so I had in mind to go straight out the back of the CU with T+E, then transition to SWA in a conduit box (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/CO20BX1.JPG), go down the wall, under the patio (can lift slabs and make a trench), then in through the bottom of the shed.
If any of the T+E is 'buried' less than 50mm deep in a wall, then it theoretically needs RCD (or RCBO) protection - it sounds as if that might be a 'debatable' issue in your case.
If SWA could bend 90 degrees could do away with the transition from T+E altogether! ... Can a CU take SWA directly or would you need to transition back to T+E.
Although some people do it, IMO attempting to gland SWA into a (usually 'flimsy') plastic CU is not really a very good idea. Opinions may vary. Bernard may pop up with a picture of one way it can be done!
PS: Not doing any of this myself (well I may route the SWA).
You will need to agree the SWA routing with your electrician, who may then wish to supervise/inspect its installation, if you will be expecting him/her to be able to sign the relevant certificates.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You will need to agree the SWA routing with your electrician, who may then wish to supervise/inspect its installation, if you will be expecting him/her to be able to sign the relevant certificates.

Of course. I meant to say that I'd do it while he/she was there doing the other bits!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back