Are these materials correct for building regs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, here goes....

I want to build a 5m by 5m timber framed out building. Because its within 1m of the boundary and over 15m2 I need to contact building control.

It will be clad in larch or cedar and will have full insulation, electrics, epdm rubber roof and bifolding doors.

Please let me know if my research below has paid off or if I can get away with smaller timbers to increase head height as externally it cant exceed 2.5m.

Roof - 195mm x 47mm c16 structural timber (if sat on 100mm wide front and back stud walls the actual span would be 4.8m)

Floor - 195mm x 75mm c16 structual timber sat on concrete pads http://www.quickbasesolutions.co.uk/

As it needs to be fire resistant.....

15mm fire resistant pink plasterboards

Tyvek firecurb breather membrane under exterior cladding http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/...-tyvek-firecurb-housewrap-50m-x-15m-roll.html

Also, Hr prof fire retardent sealant to side elevations painted on to cladding http://russwood.co.uk/shop/cladding-protection/hr-prof

What size celotex is best? Can I use 50mm? dose there need to be a gap above the ceiling celotex and the roof boards for ventilation?

Can I drill trough the joists for sockets and lighting?

Anything else I need to be aware of when building control visit?

Thanks in advance.[/i]

Sponsored Links
Provided you don't build it out of straw, your building is exempt from Bulding Regs approval, that is you do not need to involve the Local Authority.

Regarding fire regs;

You only need 30 mins fire resistance from the inside to the wall which is parallel to and within 1m of the boundary, = 12.5 Fireline internally. The other walls don't need treating.

On the exterior of the wall close to the boundary, you need a Class 0 finish for surface spread- of- flame and normal timber cladding will not comply. You can buy proprietory coatings which can provide the appropriate limit to spread of flame.

Sponsored Links
Yes, as you well know the rules are not absolute, they are to a certain extent down to officer perception/opinion. That said I've had numerous discussions with My Local BCs about it, they're not bothered provide you don't do something daft.

Furthermore the OP is applying a fire retardant coating to the cladding.

Surprised at you tony, you made a few too many booboos when getting approval and had a few tellings off from your local BC lately? :LOL: Have you managed to get three whole A4 pages of conditions yet? :mrgreen:

Furthermore the OP is applying a fire retardant coating to the cladding.

Surprised at you tony, you made a few too many booboos when getting approval and had a few tellings off from your local BC lately? :LOL: Have you managed to get three whole A4 pages of conditions yet? :mrgreen:

Correct - my bad - should've read it properly.

And no, I don't usually make mistaks, and neither do I have the jobsworths from LABC on my back any more because I go private - and have never looked back. :) :)

Regarding fire regs;

You only need 30 mins fire resistance from the inside to the wall which is parallel to and within 1m of the boundary, = 12.5 Fireline internally. The other walls don't need treating.

On the exterior of the wall close to the boundary, you need a Class 0 finish for surface spread- of- flame and normal timber cladding will not comply. You can buy proprietory coatings which can provide the appropriate limit to spread of flame.

Hi, so do you know if this is acceptable? http://russwood.co.uk/shop/cladding-protection/hr-prof

I 100% need building regs approval due to the size and distance from boundary.[/quote]

Correct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back