Are Worcester & Vaillant boilers any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I know this is a broad question, but can anyone tell me if Worcester are better than Vaillant for boilers?

I'm interested in reliability only. Could not care less about price or cost of spare parts, or installation.

I'm due to have my CH system replaced in the next two weeks. I'll be going for a system boiler and an unvented cylinder in the garage.

All the tanks in the loft will be removed.

Every CH engineer I speak to seems to have a favourite manufacturer. I've been told that Vaillant used to have bad rep. but that they've improved over the last few years.

Who makes the most reliable boilers these days?

Also, the unvented cylinder is a choice between megaflow and vaillant. Anything to split between these two?

The megaflow seems to be a bit smaller in diameter, which will give me more floor space in the garage, but the vaillant is designed to work with the boiler in some way - how I do not know.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You have already made a giant leap towards reliability by selecting a system boiler & stored dhw instead of a combi. Boiler choice should not make too much difference now as long as correctly installed, commissioned and maintained.

As I always say, go for the Vaillant boiler, Vaillant Unistor and the VR65 controller to let them 'talk' to each other.

probably the best system on the market at present.

You have already made a giant leap towards reliability by selecting a system boiler & stored dhw instead of a combi.
Where do you get this from Nixt?

There is nothing to suggest that a system boiler/unvented configuration will be any more or less reliable than a good quality combi?

The key is choosing an installation which meets the requirement and, as you have said, is correctly installed, commissioned and maintained.

Whether it's a combi, conventional, unvented or a Doc Drivel heatbank bears little relevance to long term reliability IMO.

MW

Sponsored Links

Well I've noticed that most of the complaints on this forum are to do with combi's.

Oh and sorry I nearly forgot - Almost 30 years experience working with them.

You should know that it is like asking if BMW and Mercedes are any good.

We all know they are but people will think you are a c**t for buying one...

:D :D :D :D

Nixt said:

Well I've noticed that most of the complaints on this forum are to do with combi's.

Because more of them are sold...and many are built down to a price.

Now Atmos combis are super reliable - over to Dan.

penpusher said:
You should know that it is like asking if BMW and Mercedes are any good.

We all know they are but people will think you are a c**t for buying one...

:D :D :D :D

Especially a Merc. Some of those models are dire. Look at the E class..and then look at the goons who look back at you out of the windows. That really does put you off.

Pro-rata and using every other reason eg. installer error sh*tty systems, lack of servicing etc.. the customer is still more likely experience failure than with boiler and stored water.

I can't think of another industry where to the same extent manufacturers have to boast the number of in-warranty service engineers it employs in order to improve sales.

Thanks for that chaps.

So, to recap, not much between them then. I suppose Vaillant might be best if all their kit is designed to work together. Will talk to my HE.

Nixt: If you were to marry a Worcester system boiler with an unvented cylinder to meet DHW & CH needs I don't agree that it will be any more reliable or cost effective than installing a Highflow 440 to do the same job.

Perhaps your 30 years have been spent repairing sh1te combis :LOL:

And, as much as it pains me to admit this, Doc Drivel is quite right that far more combi's get sold (and probably even more from the "cheap as chips" end of the market) which would explain the higher number of DIY posts on this site.

Combi's get a bad name for no valid reason IMO.

MW

Perhaps you're speculating MW, Im not a service engineer. Indeed personally I've experienced little trouble with the combis I've installed but to another customer thats irrelevant.

There's no point listing and debating the differences in practical operation between the systems as I'm sure you are aware of them. But as I said earlier, howsoever caused, including your's and DD's assumption that they end up at the cheap end. The customer (who couldn't care how or why and is not interested in the industry's excuses) is more likely to experience a breakdown and difficulties getting repairs with a combi.

I sapend a fairly equakl amount of repair time on tradiiontal and system boilers. The disadvantage of Combis - no immersion; thats about it.

As DD wrote - InterCombis don't break - 'cos there nuffing in them to break.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back