Argos 30 day money-back exempt ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to all,
Yesterday we had a stainless steel splashback delivered from argos, it is exempt from the 30 day money-back guarantee, however iv been a bit of a plonker and ordered the wrong type, i didn't completely run it past the husband before i ordered as i thought he would be pleased that i was helping without needing instructions pft ! anyway... i was wondering if i will be stuck with it or whether anyone knows of any loophole or statutory rights that can help me redeem myself ? It isn't faulty, it is exactly as described in the catalogue and it was home delivered. The reason for it being no good is that we only needed a sheet of stainless steel, instead of it being specifically for fitting a cooker and extractor, i hadn't realised that 7mm was too thick (it sounded small)
Thanks for reading this long and rambling post, any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks, Laura

Sponsored Links
You can't force them to take it back. Maybe they'll let you take it back to a branch?

If you bought this online, then you can reject it within 7 days and get a refund

Otherwise you can always ask nicely at the shop.

Incidentally, do your mean 7mm too wide rather than too thick? Can't you cut it or adapt it?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the argos bought one is 7mm thick that is including the lip and the wall attatchments, he wanted a sheet, but thats not what i bought him

if you ordered it on line for delivery you are entitled to return it under the Consumer Protection (distance selling) Regulations within 7 working days of receipt. Argos will accept the item being returned to a store if you wish

this is from the t&cs on their website:

Distance Selling RegulationsIf you have ordered by telephone, internet, or TV, under the Distance Selling Regulations, you have a statutory right to cancel your order and receive a full refund for any home delivery item (excluding those ordered in-store). This does not apply to items personalised or made to your specification; audio/video recordings or software that you have unsealed; items that due to their nature cannot be returned; perishable goods (e.g. food, flowers and periodicals/magazines).

To cancel, you can Email Customer services, call 0845 640 2020 or write to us at Customer Services (see contact us for details) within seven working days (so not including Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays) commencing the day after the day of delivery of your item(s), quoting your order number. You must take reasonable care of the item(s).

Item(s) may be returned to an Argos store or we can arrange collection free of charge (unless otherwise stated on the delivery note).

You may cancel an order for services in the same way, within seven working days (so not including Saturdays, Sundays or public holidays) of the date of purchase, unless the services begin sooner. You may not however cancel accommodation, transport or leisure services which occur on a specific date.

The Distance Selling Regulations do not apply to Financial and Insurance Services.

If you have an Internet order query, please Email Customer services or call us on 0845 640 2020.

If you have an Argos TV order query please call us on 08456 40 50 50.

(For security and training purposes, telephone calls to and from Customer service centres may be recorded or monitored).

The reason they make S/S splashbacks 7mm thick is so it's level with any tiling. If hubby is going to tile above the worktop, then you've bought the right splashback. ;) ;)

I presume you got the answer above, but my understanding is, if it's unopened, and not required, ie a gift, then, as it's returned as origional, full refund given...I 'think' Argos imposed this rule because people were going into store at one stage, buying things that needed to be installed, but part of the offer is that you got £25 and £50 vouchers off stuff....

So people were buying stuff, to be installed, saying it doesn't fit etc...then returning it, but spending the gift vouchers received. Crafty. The time to fit, to fitting the part gave them time to spend the vouchers, so they couldn't be reclaimed.

It was a mate that worked at Argos that told me this...and not to be racist, it wasn't white british that commited this crime. THAT is what I was told.

Argos write '£5 / £10 voucher' issued on the receipt, so when people try Moodys trick, they ask for the voucher back or deduct £5 from the refund. Simples.

I bought a largish item from Argos last year.

Catalogue and online price was £80 so I went into one of the 2 stores where I live and went to order it at the counter.

The lady behind the counter asks when I would like it delivered, I said i'll take it now if its possible(had taken large items before from back of store)

She told me the item was home delivery only and it was £5 charge. I asked why it was in the catalogue for £80 and she said thats how much it is :confused:

She didnt understand that I was trying to explain that it was impossible to buy this item for the advertised price. I said its £85 then, she said no.... :evil:

I paid the full amount, but I think Argos should have a shake up of there pricing system

But you could have ordered as many items as you wished and it would still only have cost £5 for delivery.

Although I think their delivery charge has been £6.95 for the past couple of years, and may actually be more than that now. So if they only charged you a fiver you did pretty well !

But you could have ordered as many items as you wished and it would still only have cost £5 for delivery.

Although I think their delivery charge has been £6.95 for the past couple of years, and may actually be more than that now. So if they only charged you a fiver you did pretty well !

At the time I think it was £5

It is annoying because they deliver locally to from your local store. The item was there and I could have taken in with me.

I'm not arguing about the price of delivery, just the fact that the item was in the catalogue for £80, but it was impossible to buy it for that amount.

You expect that when buying online etc, but not from a shop that has the item behind the counter.

I believe argos are struggling at the moment.

A 7mill piece of stainy :eek: , what size is it? i understand the price, as it would be food grade? but it must be really heavy? guessing 20 kilo???

I bought a largish item from Argos last year.

Catalogue and online price was £80 so I went into one of the 2 stores where I live and went to order it at the counter.

The lady behind the counter asks when I would like it delivered, I said i'll take it now if its possible(had taken large items before from back of store)

She told me the item was home delivery only and it was £5 charge. I asked why it was in the catalogue for £80 and she said thats how much it is :confused:

She didnt understand that I was trying to explain that it was impossible to buy this item for the advertised price. I said its £85 then, she said no.... :evil:

I paid the full amount, but I think Argos should have a shake up of there pricing system

I've seen this issue raised in other forums, and I think it was on Watchdog once, so I think Argos put a tiny note in their t&c's on page 10, in tiny writing - items that can only be home delivered have an additional delivery charge, I think this is because the item isn't stocked, and delivered straight from the manufacturer, probably by the same person that Argos uses, but it is a bad service charge. I'd be writing them a strongly worded email. If they receive enough, they might adjust their pricing (we live in hope!).

As an aside, I went into Argos the other day to buy a computer keyboard, £6, quite reasonable. But there were 3 people on the tills, and they just stood there like zombies, not doing anything it seems, 10 minutes in, and a job offer for my partner from another customer later, estimated time for Argos the warehouse wizard to conjure up the goods, 2 minutes. Another 15 minutes later, the wizard appeared.

Sponsored Links
Back