Ariston a23 mffi eurocombi diverter valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My boiler has just stopped heating the rads. Hot water works fine but no central heating. If I leave boiler on for a long time the pipe to the rads slowly starts to heat up (but I believe it to just be the water from the boiler radiating heat down the pipe.
If I leave my boiler turned it sounds like its boiling the water (so only turn it on for showers now)

I have just checked the pump by spinning it with a screwdrver and all is working okay but have noticed that the diverter valve pin is stuck all the way out. I have checked the diaphram and its fine (I only changed it 6 months ago as it was perforated).

So...... Can I be led to presume its the diverter vavle thats the issue and if so can i clean it as a temp measure while I order a replacement or is it something else?

Thanks for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
You might just be able to push it back in.

The rear manifold section is sticking and not returning to the heating position. That's moved back by spring pressure until it jams.

It is possible to dismantle and clean them and probably a set of spare seals available. But that takes about an hour and is not always a long term fix in my experience.

Commercially, I always fit a new one and so the client has a brand new part to give a long life.

They are sticking because of dirt in the system! Unless the dirt is treated further dirt can jam them again.

That boiler is getting pretty old now and was a budget model anyway. May be a good time to replace it with a nice condensing boiler and have up to 12% saving in gas consumption.

Tony

Hi,
My boiler has just stopped heating the rads. Hot water works fine but no central heating. If I leave boiler on for a long time the pipe to the rads slowly starts to heat up (but I believe it to just be the water from the boiler radiating heat down the pipe.
If I leave my boiler turned it sounds like its boiling the water (so only turn it on for showers now)

I have just checked the pump by spinning it with a screwdrver and all is working okay but have noticed that the diverter valve pin is stuck all the way out. I have checked the diaphram and its fine (I only changed it 6 months ago as it was perforated).

So...... Can I be led to presume its the diverter vavle thats the issue and if so can i clean it as a temp measure while I order a replacement or is it something else?

if your going to take the time to clean the diverter you might as well change seals & diaphragm at the same time surely that makes sense

Thanks guys.
Can I use a bit of WD40 on the pin to get it slackened while I order a new one + all seals & diaphram or could it be dangerous (combustable, etc)

I pushed the pin in to test (my boiler is upstairs) and the upstairs rads get hot but not the downstairs? The pump is about 18 months old and sounds okay + if I put my hand on it it gets warm and I can feel vibrating as if its spinning okay. Is this just because of the diverter valve?

Sorry for all the questions

Sponsored Links
sadly just feeling the pump doesn't prove its working properly , no need to worry about it being combustable(y)

Hi guys found THIS valve for a decent price but cant find anywhere for seals!
Any ideas much appreciated?

Ordered a new diverter valve and all gaskets, seals, etc. Delivery tomorrow so I will let you know if it fixes the problem.

Thanks again guys for the help it is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help guys.
New diverter fitted with all new gaskets.

17 year old Ariston eurocombi a23 MFFI running as good as the day it was bought now :)

Just gonna flush the boiler out a few times over the next few weeks to get rid of any gunk.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back