Ariston combi with leaking safety valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, looking for a second opinion before delving into this head first.

Have just moved into a new house fitted with an aprox 8 year old Ariston Eurocobi.

I seem to have 2 distinct problems,

1 the boiler is cycling on and off every 25 seconds witch I guess will shorten its life somewhat,

2 Have noticed there is a constant trickle of water coming from a pipe under the kitchen floor.

It would apear that the water is passing through the 3 bar PRV on the underside of the boiler and hence cousing a nice warm puddle under the house definately not helping my condensation probems.

Added to this the refilling loop has been left slightly open to compensate for the water loss.

Oh and 3. when the water pressure in the heating circuit gets beyond 3 bar the PRV doesnt open so I dare not use the heating without keeping watch. If I manualy release the pressure by turning the PRV anticlockwise to vent the steam under the house ....hmm, to about 1.5 bar the pressure will slowly build up over 15 minuits or so back to 3 bar+.

I have ordered a new PRV which in theroy doesnt look overly hard to change and is definately buggered.

Even with the filling loop turned hard off I can hear water flowing through the system so I will try disconnecting it incase it is not fully closing as I think this have been flowing for a long long time.
The diverter valve was replaced about 4 years ago as well as the pcb.

The constant cycling of the burner I presume is down to scale and crud building up due to the constant flow of water though the system, I have bought a can of pressureised flushing gunge from Wicks but havent worked out how to get it in the system yet, also I want to make sure the non return valve in the filling loop is working as I don't want it getting into my drinking water.

Dont want to be spending huge amounts on this boiler as I am hoping to fit a new cylinder and solor panels in the summer.

Sorry this one went on a bit, any advive will be greatly apreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is this the eurocombi (there were loads) withthe blue taps on the filling loop?

See the faq for boiler pressure problems.

With fresh water constantly flowing into it, the system could be scaled up to the boonies. :cry:

Thanks for the info, no blue taps, the filling loop just has a screwdriver slot to turn the valve.

Probably being a bit dim here but where are the boiler faq's?

I have had a look around this site but can't locate them.

Many thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back