Ariston Microgenus shutdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

My one-year old ariston combi boiler has developed an intermittent (but frequent) fault...
When heating either the CH or DHW, the boiler will cut out (sometimes after 30 secs, sometimes 30 mins). The boiler displays the code "A 01", which apparently means that no flame is detected. Until shutdown, the flame is a healthy-looking blue colour, and everything is working efficiently.
I called an engineer, who checked for loose connections. He undid, then re-tightened , one wire that I gather links a sensor - and the boiler worked fine for a long time (20 mins) before cutting out again. Curses!

I originally thought it was some sort of overheating problem, but this would generate a different error code, and the temperatures reached before shutdown tend to vary from either "warm" to "hot".
When it shuts down there is a noise produced like a very fast ticking (some sort of valve closing?). I'm able to press the reset switch to get it going for a short period.

Anyone have any ideas? Cheers!

Sponsored Links
very common fault. i diagnosed 3 this week already.

If its less that 2 years old then its under guarantee still.

rob884 said:
very common fault. i diagnosed 3 this week already.

If its less that 2 years old then its under guarantee still.

ariston can be difficult to deal with.....especially for warranty claims.

Sponsored Links
Really, they're pretty round my way. Warranty work is done by contracters who would rather just fix it and get their bit of money.

just got back from fitting one of them and cured fault.

Sorry for not replying everyone, I forgot I had posted on this forum!!

I'll make the suggestion to my heating engineer when he comes around tomorrow, and Ariston have said to get him to call them while he is present to do some diagnostics.

Thanks for the interest everyone!

My Ariston microgenus has just started doing the same thing. Can you tell me if you've fixed yours. If so, how?
Thanks
Colin

Hi Thinpig

Did you sort your ticking out because I have the same problem. When the boiler cuts off (having reached the temperature required) it gives out a very fast ticking noise for a few seconds then its ok but only when in the central heating mode. I also have a problem with the return heating pipe as it reaches the boiler because its not as hot as the forward flow pipe to the radiators. Is this associated? Much appreciate your views

Cheers
Mick

Hi everyone

My one-year old ariston combi boiler has developed an intermittent (but frequent) fault...
When heating either the CH or DHW, the boiler will cut out (sometimes after 30 secs, sometimes 30 mins). The boiler displays the code "A 01", which apparently means that no flame is detected. Until shutdown, the flame is a healthy-looking blue colour, and everything is working efficiently.
I called an engineer, who checked for loose connections. He undid, then re-tightened , one wire that I gather links a sensor - and the boiler worked fine for a long time (20 mins) before cutting out again. Curses!

I originally thought it was some sort of overheating problem, but this would generate a different error code, and the temperatures reached before shutdown tend to vary from either "warm" to "hot".
When it shuts down there is a noise produced like a very fast ticking (some sort of valve closing?). I'm able to press the reset switch to get it going for a short period.

Anyone have any ideas? Cheers!

This is a common fault on the non condensing Ariston boilers.

I had a problem with one of our customers and it should have been covered by the guarantee but the Ariston Agent was most unhelpful even though I have helped them out a few times when they could not fix boilers.

This has made me most disappointed indeed with the service from Ariston and I would welcome a call from them to discuss the problem but they dont seem at all bothered.

Tony Glazier

Hi Ive been having this A01 error problem for the past week so i rang up the plumber who fitted the boiler and he organised a ariston engineer to come out and look at it.

The engineer said that it needed a new circuit board, so he fitted a new one free of charge because its only 11 months old.

hope that answers your question.

same problem here. boiler less than 2 years old but problem is the previous owners of my house didnt register it for warranty...f'ing idiots!! We saw a document when the sale was going through which was stamped by the plumber that fitted it, ariston said this would be enough, but now it seems our solicitor has lost our file containg that document.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back