Armitage Shanks Cistern float valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My parents cloakroom cistern water inlet won't shut off. It's a small cistern and so has a small Armitage Shanks float valve. My first thought was to replace the diaphram washer which I've done but it's not fixed it. There's not much to it so I'm stumped as to what to do next. I'm confident everything has gone back together correctly. Is there something I've missed?

Sponsored Links
Hi

My parents cloakroom cistern water inlet won't shut off. It's a small cistern and so has a small Armitage Shanks float valve. My first thought was to replace the diaphram washer which I've done but it's not fixed it. There's not much to it so I'm stumped as to what to do next. I'm confident everything has gone back together correctly. Is there something I've missed?

It's always possible that the piston that closes the valve has debris in it or possible broken - you will have to dismantle it to find out. Replacement valves are not expensive and fit universally. Any diy store will have them

Sponsored Links
Hi

There is a small rubber seal under the operating lever, it looks like a piece of Bertie Bassetts Liquorice (his nose to be precise). When the water level rises, the float operates the actuator arm which presses the Bertie Bassett down onto a pinhole at the top of the valve seal. Once the pinhole is blocked off the water enters the valve BEHIND the diaphram washer and cannot escape, which equals out the pressure on both sides of the diaphram washer.

You could try filling the pitted end of the rubber stopper with a skim of silicon and leave it to dry before re-fitting it.

You can buy a valve repair kit from fastpart-spares for £5+ deliver

Best option........ Buy a new Torbeck or Fluidmaster inlet valve from Screwfix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back