Cistern inlet valve float type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my flat both my circa year 2000 close coupled armitage shanks float type inlet valves have become problematic at the same time- both noisy when filling. One like this for months, the other suddenly very noisy (which in some ways is quite good because I was just about to fix the original noisy one!)

Both toilets are shanks from same era but both cisterns have different guts-

One has a "Derwent Macdee" (orangy/red float+blue top syphon)
The other a "Freeflo" (blue float+green top syphon)

What's my best route to fix this? Any advice on what to ask for/how best to repair? The derwent macdee one is scaly and 'orrible everywhere, the other all clean and nice. So, maybe complete renewal of it's inlet system? Don't really want to go near the syphons if I can help it- they seem ok.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Its probably best to renew both valves.....check out the Fluidmaster Professional one, with the brass threaded end.
John :)

Yep, thats the one - an excellent piece of kit and all you'll need after that is a new fibre washer (1/2") for the pipe connection.

Sponsored Links
I see these are a replacement doing away with float etc.

Will there likely be enough room for it, the fill hole in both my cisterns are fairly close to the corner?

The float actually rises up the stem of the valve.
Whether it will fit your particular cistern I can't say.....maybe the slimmest one is by Torbeck (another good make) but the type you presently have is certainly available.
The likes of B&Q etc have a few choices.

Many thanks John

When I first glanced at the picture of it I didn't notice the float was offset to one side, so I imagine it should be ok. Most cistern inlets are pretty near the corner of the porcelain I imagine...

Scott

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back