armoured cable re routed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished the new shed in the garden and there is an existing armoured cable running from the CU to the new location,no fuse box,etc as yet.
This run is about 25 metres of old style 2.5 twin cable, i wish to have a couple of double sockets plus strip lighting in the shed, but want to have a external socket approx 10m from the house, is there a way to incorporate both using the existing cable. :?:First time using this web site, so hopefully you can help out there....

Sponsored Links
what exactly are you asking as you say new armoured cable in one sentence then old style twin and earth in the next ? Rephrase your question and we will be able to help better.

Nick

Hi
Sorry about the confusion,there is an existing cable which use to be suppyling a old garage(so I'm told).
The armoured cable is connected to a metal switch box some 2 feet from the house CU and they are connected by 2.5 twin & E.
The cable is now positioned into the new shed but not connected to anything as yet.
Hope this explains better.

You will need some form of current limiting device.
This could be a fused connection unit or a full garage consumer unit. You with also need some protective devices at source.
Because the existing may already have protective devices the selection as to what should be installed in the shed can't really be made.
Taking power to a shed has been covered in Wiring Matters from IET. See Electrical installations outdoors: a supply to a detached outbuilding (243 k) this was published in 2005 under old regulations but not too much has changed.
Because of Part P and cost of getting test equipment it is likely cheaper to get an electrician who is registered to do this job for you than DIY.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back