Armoured cable run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me wherther it is possible to make a 25 metre armoured cable spur to my shed from the last socket in the downstairs house ring. Or with this distance would I have to make it a ring circuit back to the house? There is an RCD in both the house and the shed and there won't be too many power tools in use at the same time.

Also, can I use the armoured cable to spur off garden lighting?

Many thanks for your advice.

:oops:

Sponsored Links
no and no.

because it will be for out side use it MUST have an rcd. you will have to install a small consumers unit in the shed with rcd

I also think that unless you buy a ready made "kit" with wire armoured cable i would suggest you let an electrician do it, but do offer to dig the trench

davemart said:
Can anybody tell me wherther it is possible to make a 25 metre armoured cable spur to my shed from the last socket in the downstairs house ring. Or with this distance would I have to make it a ring circuit back to the house? There is an RCD in both the house and the shed and there won't be too many power tools in use at the same time.

Also, can I use the armoured cable to spur off garden lighting?

Many thanks for your advice.

:oops:

Take it you have more than one shed (one having an RCD in).....wouldn't it be easier if you took the SWA back to your fuse board and run in a dedicated supply to your shed...

Don't run a spur from a socket for out side. Add one to your c/u. The big boys will tell you how (breezer, il78, spark etc. etc.)

Sponsored Links
Scoby_Beasley said:
Don't run a spur from a socket for out side. Add one to your c/u. The big boys will tell you how (breezer, il78, spark etc. etc.)

Is you sayin I is fat....... :LOL:

Thank you, guys, you confirmed my suspicions - house C/U is a long distance from the SWA and will have to pull up all new carpets and laminate - :cry:

BTW - can I then spur off the SWA cable itself for garden lights, pond pump, etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back