Around or under? Laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gys,

About to lay laminate flooring in toilet room of house, have got the stuff recommended for the 'wet' area.

My question, is it OK to remove the toilet and laminate , then place the pan on top of laminate? Thinking this will be the easiest route.

Not sure how good cutting round the pan will look and thought this might be a neater better job.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the best option to me if you are definitely going to use laminate.

I did the same in my bathroom and the laminate has been fine and happily in situ for about 5 yrs now.

Thanks, I assume you did not screw the pan down onto the laminate due to movement? Or maybe not?

i've had the same dilemma.

the 1st time i put laminate in a bathroom i cut round and filled with caulk. it looked ok, took a long time but did not look top notch.

since then i was brave and i now lay the fittings (except bath) on top. i fix only to the wall. i do put clear silicone between the basin and pedestal and the basin and the wall. i think you could put clear silicone under the pan but i have not found it necessary (the weight of the water and wall fixing seems enough for close coupled pans).

i also put a thin bead of PVA adhesive on the laminate edges as i fit to make sure they are 100% waterproof and use caulk to seal the gaps at the walls. i now don't even buy wet area laminate

Sponsored Links
What Jerry said........I run a bead of transparent silicone along the bottom of the skirting to prevent any...ahem....liquid, of any type, running under there. I do put the same around the base of the pan for the same reason.

Except I will always use the water resistant laminate...just to be safe. One tip that caught me out is if you need to remove the toilet pan for any reason, such as fixing a soil pipe leak put a sheet of polythene on the floor to lift the pan on. Don't drag it across the floor....it scratches...doh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back