Artex covering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could I cover the artex in my hall/stairs/top landing with plasterboard - dot & dab /drywall adhesive? - I removed some it with a product called Xtex - very good - but will be hardwork on the high walls. The artex is very thick (thick tree trunk stuff) so I might have to cut off large ridges - but will the plasterboard hold - it will be the thinest I can find.

Cheers

PS I work in IT - so I dont realy work for a living like tradesmen

Sponsored Links
I assume your talking walls, you can’t dot & dab ceilings. You could do but why not just get it plastered over, it won’t present any problems for someone who knows what they are doing. You should only ever use 12.5mm boards for walls; the thinner stuff can warp along the edges & you will see it. If in any doubt about the adhesive bond, you can provide additional mechanical fixings.

Thanks for the repy - got a quote for plastering - about £500 - bit rich for my blood - my father will help me and he's a god at all DIY - but not plastering :rolleyes: - It is just walls i want to do - I was just worried about the boards falling off - fixing is an issue as the walls are nofines(spelling) so hard to get screws into

Thansk

Sponsored Links
If you do stick boards on they'll still need skimming. (unless your gonna tape and joint)

I usually scrape the worst of the artex back (high spots) paint with wickes plaster bonding agent then skim over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back