Artex or textured paint - can anybody tell from s photo?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all,

Just started doing some work on our kitchen and its coated in what I thought was textured paint - walls and ceiling. It is an extension to an old 1910 house but not 100 percent when it was done but I think mid 90s.

From an image can anyone tell what this is? Was planning to see if it could be skimmed but it's just peeling off the walls by hand when I noticed s pull in it, it's peeling in sheets much like paint when you get the finish wrong.

Worried now about Artex and asbestos.

Thanks in advance all!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I have artex on an extension ceiling, in places it is as thin as a coat of paint.
I also added textured paint to a kitchen ceiling. (Everybody is entitled to one mistake!)

The textured went on pretty thick and looked like your photos.
I removed it with a steamer and a long handed scraper.

You can get postal kits for less than £50 to test for artex.

If you don't want to test, and trust to luck, use a steamer or plant sprayer to stop dust.
Wear a mask. Up to you.

If it was done in the 90's it shouldn't have asbestos in it.

Sponsored Links
There shouldn't be any Asbestos in Artex anyway. Experience over the last 38 years tells me it isn't Artex by the look of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back