Artex Questions

S

spudtwit

Hey folks,

I've got artex ceilings in a few of the rooms of my early 80s ex-council house, which I'm planning to get tested for asbestos. They're in pretty poor condition so I'm guessing they might need over-boarded rather than skimmed. I just want to check I'm thinking along the right lines before I book things in.

First up - the previous owners installed a load of spotlights and I'd ideally like to switch some back to pendant lights. If the ceiling contains asbestos, can that still be done? If the ceiling does get boarded over, will I need to find an electrician to remove all the existing lights and hardwired fire alarms first?

Also, I'm getting an asbestos inspector out to sample the ceilings because they look a bit fragile. Is there anything else I should be asking them to do at the same time? I haven't seen anything obviously scary but I'm not sure I'd know how to tell plasterboard from AIB for example.

Finally, if the ceilings turn out not to contain asbestos but are just in bad condition (cracks along all the plasterboard joins etc) should I still be looking at over-boarding, or are there other better alternatives?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
spudtwit, Good evening.

As for testing, no idea what the regulations are in Germany [If that is indeed where you live?]

in the UK you can take a scrape sample from each room carefully bag and IDENTIFY which room then sent the samples of for a test to a recognised test house.

As for overboard or skim, it will come down to cost to you of each method, and local to you regulations.

The down lights and Smokies are best dealt with by a competent person.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back