ARTIC CONDITIONS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, just a quickie. What are the heat-dissipating abilities of Artic Flex? Because it can withstand very low temperatures, I assume the sheath/ insulation contains some thermally insulating chemical. But surely, if it don't let cold in, it don't let heat out. All very well when jack frost is about, but not too great when we have our once-a-century heatwave?
Anyone know how it gets around this?
TIA, TS.

Sponsored Links
the cable can get cold. it just remains flexable. it doesnt insulate. there is no need for it to do that

Thanks for reply Andy, but I didn't word my question very well. I appreciate that the cold has no detrimental effect to the electrical functioning of the cable. But surely there must be some sort of additive to help it retain its physical properties of flexibility, which i guess it can only do by stopping the cold seeping into the sheath itself. So I guess this in itself would hinder heat dissipation under hotter ambient temps. But maybe I am still barking up the wrong bicycle, or just not seeing the woods for the fish.
Cheers mate, TS.

Is this any use to you TS?

Arctic Grade Cable

Standards: Generally to BS6500
Conductor: Flexible class 5 copper conductors to BS6360
Insulation: Arctic grade PVC
Sheath: Arctic grade PVC
Colour: Blue or Yellow
Voltage rating: 300/500V
Temperature rating: - 40 to +70°C
Minimum bending radius: 6 x overall diameter
Core identification: 3-core: Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow

Got that on ELAND CABLES site here: http://www.eland.co.uk/

Haven't as yet found anything that explains the temperature properties though. :(

Sponsored Links
its highly unlikey that they would try to use insulation to keep the heat out, it would just be totally unfeasible in terms of cable bulk and would only work short term anyway.

i presume with arctic grade PVC cable they use special addatives/plasticisers that keep the cable flexible at low temperatures (rememeber PVC cables have addatives in them to make them flexible at all otherwise they would be like PVC conduit to handle).

We use this arctic cable at -25, and it still goes rock hard, and bitch to strip!

Admitadly, standard pvc cracks when you bend it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back