Replacing Storage Heaters with Panel Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

I've finally decided to get rid of the storage heaters because I'd like more control over the heating (I also have a wood burner thats on most of the time so overnight the storage heaters + fire is just too much). They'll mainly be used for background heat downstairs just to keep the temperature up a bit when we get in from work until the fires on but also on the odd occasion we dont light the fire.

I currently have 2 heaters downstairs (2.4kW and 1.8kW) which are being directly replaced with a 1.5w and 1kw panel heater as well as plan to install an additional 1.5kw heater in the hallway

The existing heaters are served by a 20A DP switch so presumably this is suitable (don't need to change to an SFCU)

The additional heater will have to go on the ring main as its going to be extremely impractical to run a new radial circuit to the mounting point (it is next to an existing double socket which I was thinking changing to a single + SFCU?)

As i understand this equates to about 7A of load?

Would this be acceptable providing its not putting excessive load on the ring main? The kitchen (over/fridge/extractor) is on a separate ring although I'm pretty sure the utility room is on the ring main with the washing machine in.

One final question: The heaters have an additional pilot wire which wont be used as part of a wider system (although I might get the digital timer module for an individual heater). This needs isolating but its very vague as how to do this.

Am I OK to connect a 6A terminal block to it and then wrap it in some insulation tape and tuck it away in the spur? It doesnt draw more than 100mA. I was also going to label the flex to let anyone know there may be two supplies live so someone coming behind doesnt just cut the flex without checking its properly isolated.

Sponsored Links
You have more work to do!

The storage radiators are connected to individual radial circuits (not "rings"). These circuits ONLY are energised at night time.
If you put panel heaters to replace the storage rads, then they will only work at night time. You want the panel heaters toi work any time.

There probably is a separate fuseboard for the storage radiators and you will need to have an electrician look at how (and if) this can be re-configured to supply electricity on a 24-hour basis. Did you consider this?
Post photos of your meter and the fuseboards so we can have a laugh (sorry) give you an idea.

You will also need to cancel your Economy 7 tariff with your electricity company.

Re pilot wire. Just put it into the terminal block. As it will be in the switch back box there is no need for insulation tape.

You have more work to do!

The storage radiators are connected to individual radial circuits (not "rings"). These circuits ONLY are energised at night time.
If you put panel heaters to replace the storage rads, then they will only work at night time. You want the panel heaters toi work any time.

There probably is a separate fuseboard for the storage radiators and you will need to have an electrician look at how (and if) this can be re-configured to supply electricity on a 24-hour basis. Did you consider this?

You will also need to cancel your Economy 7 tariff with your electricity company.

Re pilot wire. Just put it into the terminal block. As it will be in the switch back box there is no need for insulation tape.

Yes thats been considered and already done so the old board is no longer using the timer! Changing tariff is in progress :)

I figured that was the case with the pilot wire - I wish they would make the instructions more explicit although I guess this keeps them from being liable :) If I plugged in something like:

https://www.alertelectrical.com/rx2...VBqeBcG0ti6NywR2kagC1fnmXJgfUo07MfhoC2aPw_wcB

Then presumably that pilot wire would still be *dead* and the live is powering the unit?

Sponsored Links
Are you aware of the costs of running electric panel heaters on a normal tariff? Suffice to say a lot more than storage heaters on economy 7.

I'm not sure about that. You should call Dimplex to ask them if their panel heaters + pilot wire option can work in that way.

Done. All good so will just pop a terminal block in there and put a label on the flex

Are you aware of the costs of running electric panel heaters on a normal tariff? Suffice to say a lot more than storage heaters on economy 7.

Of course. We have a wood burner thats on most of the winter (5kW). This is mainly for background heating and occasionally when we dont put it on. The problem with the storage heaters are that during the night with the woodburner on the house is bloody baking and then all the heat is wasted while we're in work. At least with panel heaters they can be programmed to come on an hr before we get in and the house is warm until the wood burner goes on!

So with regards to the final heater - can I replace the double socket with a single socket (never use the other one anyways) and a 13A FCU? 7A should be OK on the ring circuit

Of course. We have a wood burner thats on most of the winter (5kW). This is mainly for background heating and occasionally when we dont put it on. The problem with the storage heaters are that during the night with the woodburner on the house is bloody baking and then all the heat is wasted while we're in work. At least with panel heaters they can be programmed to come on an hr before we get in and the house is warm until the wood burner goes on!
Indeed - that's roughly what I thought you meant.

Storage heaters are not a good (or economic) solution when one just wants heat for an hour or two in the early evening. I would imagine that the panel heaters, without E7, will (if used as you describe) cost less to run that did the storage heaters on E7- and, of course, once you've got rid of E7 all of your day/evening electricity usage will get cheaper.

Kind Regards, John

So with regards to the final heater - can I replace the double socket with a single socket (never use the other one anyways) and a 13A FCU? 7A should be OK on the ring circuit

You can but why bother. Put a plug on the panel heater (if it doesn't have one) and plug it in.

Indeed - that's roughly what I thought you meant.

Storage heaters are not a good (or economic) solution when one just wants heat for an hour or two in the early evening. I would imagine that the panel heaters, without E7, will (if used as you describe) cost less to run that did the storage heaters on E7- and, of course, once you've got rid of E7 all of your day/evening electricity usage will get cheaper.

Kind Regards, John

Unfortunately we're off grid! We wont be here long enough to invest in a better heating solution. I get all my wood free so that makes a big difference over winter :) The heaters will only be on for a couple of hrs a day most days so like you say it will probably work out about the same if not a little cheaper

Unfortunately we're off grid!
Oh - where does your electricity come from, and what did you mean when you said that "changing the tariff was in progress"?
The heaters will only be on for a couple of hrs a day most days so like you say it will probably work out about the same if not a little cheaper
As I said, that was certainly my view when I thought you had E7 - but I'm no longer quite sure what electricity arrangements you have :)

Kind Regards, John

Oh - where does your electricity come from, and what did you mean when you said that "changing the tariff was in progress"?
As I said, that was certainly my view when I thought you had E7 - but I'm no longer quite sure what electricity arrangements you have :)

Kind Regards, John

I meant for gas or some other wet heating!

I meant for gas or some other wet heating!
Oh, I see - so you are "on grid" for electricity, and have indeed had E7? If so, all my previous comments still apply, and I would be surprised if your proposed change (including getting rid of E7) did not result in a a financial benefit.

My village is also 'off grid' for piped gas, but that doesn't stop us villagers having 'wet heating' - using LPG or oil (and, in a few cases, wood or other solid fuel).

Kind Regards, John

My village is also 'off grid' for piped gas, but that doesn't stop us villagers having 'wet heating' - using LPG or oil (and, in a few cases, wood or other solid fuel
But you'll be in the right place to catch those HS2 trains, won't you?:evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back