connecting replacement storage heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing several old storage heaters and switch boxes.The origional flex from switch to heater is quite heavy and measures approx.10 mm radius.My electrical supplier has supplied flex which is approx 7mm ,I'm not sure if this is sufficient for a 3.4 kw heater. Also is a 20amp double pole switch sufficient? The heaters are all on seperate circuits on economy seven.
Many Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi Paul

Sounds like you are on the right track. 20amp double pole is fine. I am assuming that each storage heater circuit is protected by 15 or 16 amp fuse at consumer unit. You will need 1.5mm 3 Core Buytl Flex which is rated at 16amp.

If you have not already done it, be warned if dismantling, some old storage heaters contain asbestos

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for quick reply,forgive my ignorance but does 1.5mm relate to the size of the inner wires,it's just that the flex is thinner than the origional and looks similar to the flex on a kettle or the like.
Thanks for warnlng re asbestos, we took care in dismantling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back