Restoring Off Peak heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating replacing an off peak storage heater which was removed a couple of years ago.I understand that there was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't fit in with the room decorations !

I believe this was 2.5 kw capacity. I am looking for a replacement of 3.4 kw if convenient.

The original wiring is still in place from the separate off peak circuit which curredntly feeds other OP heaters, water heater, etc.in the house.

The switcht was replaced with a white blanking plate, so replacing it should be no problem

Should I connect the new heater with a FUSED on/off front entry switch ?

If so, what capacity heatproof cable and fuse, should I use for a) a 2.5 kw heater, or b) a 3.4 kw one

Or is a FUSED switch necessary ? All other heaters in the house are fused.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I am contemplating replacing an off peak storage heater which was removed a couple of years ago.I understand that there was nothing wrong with it, but it didn't fit in with the room decorations !

I believe this was 2.5 kw capacity. I am looking for a replacement of 3.4 kw if convenient.

The original wiring is still in place from the separate off peak circuit which curredntly feeds other OP heaters, water heater, etc.in the house.

The switcht was replaced with a white blanking plate, so replacing it should be no problem
If the circuit is still connected at the other end and assuming it is still in good condition and complies with regs

Should I connect the new heater with a FUSED on/off front entry switch ?
No, at 14A-15A (for 3.4kW) load a 13A SFCU would not be adequate.

If so, what capacity heatproof cable and fuse, should I use for a) a 2.5 kw heater, or b) a 3.4 kw one
1.5mm2 for the cable

Or is a FUSED switch necessary ? All other heaters in the house are fused.
As long as there is adequate protection in the consumer unit for the cable then additional fuses are not necessary. If there is adequate protection then a 20A double pole switch would be better.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Thanks for your advice.

>>>1.5mm2 for the cable <<<

This is for a 2.5 kw heater ?

What will I need for 3.4 kw heater (to connect from heater to wall switch 20a DP) ?

RLux[/code]

Sponsored Links
If the OP is not making any mods other than re-fitting a new heater and outlet which was originally fitted, why would the circuit have to comply with the new regs???

Many thanks to all for help and encouragement. An excellent Forum.

(Not qualified to answer that last question I'm afraid !)

RLux

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back