Heating Causing Living Space Over heating in cold weather.

O

oldgazza

Having had a new boiler fitted in the roof space last year the installer fitted a frost stat and pipe stat. All worked fine until the weather dropped below 5c when of course the frost stat came in and started working as it should.

What happened next was that for the next 3 months as the temperature remained below 5c was that I had no control over the temperature with in the living area at any time. The house temperature would reach up to 30c but would average at around 24c which is way to hot for me.

As our house has the maximum recommended insulation the heat obtained from the heating while waiting for the water to reach the pipe stat on the return pipe, completely overrides the central heating programmer. For several months.

This sounds very excessive to me not to have control over the heating other than radiator thermostats.

The new boiler is a baxi duo tec 33He with Honeywell pipe and frost stats. The old boiler was previously fitted in our integral garage which had no heating and had a similar stat setup without the over heating problem. We have again had the installer re check the system and every thing is working as it should other than we are unable to control the heat properly in the living space.

Has anyone had similar problems or have alternative thoughts on how to tame this out of control set up.

Sponsored Links
The pipe and frost stats are wired wrongly. They should only come into operation when the boiler is off.

:idea: how about zone valves?
put 2 zone valves in - 1 frost stat controlled looped round the loft pipework and second controlled from room stat taking it into the heating?

Sponsored Links
What temperature is the pipe stat set to? If you turn it down to 15 or so the boiler should only be running for a few minutes.

Depends on who installed it! I see loads where people have all sorts of ideas. If its installed on the return then it won't take long to warm up to 15 degrees will it?!

The Baxi Duo-Tec has frost protection already built in. If the system temperature drops below 5c, the boiler fires on minimum setting until until a flow temperature of 30c is reached.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back