artificial grass & underlay

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to lay artificial grass for a family member on the balcony of their apartment. It's a concrete floor, smooth and level. Some sites I'm reading say 'slap it down direct on the concrete if you want' whilst ensuring some adhesive gaps for drainage, whereas other sites are saying 'underlay is a must.'

If the additional comfort of underlay isn't required and with floor being smooth/flat, can I forego the underlay?

Sponsored Links
please post photos from outside an inside both showing the threshold.
do you have makes an brands etc?

When they mention underlay, are they suggesting on earth installations that a membrane be used to discourage growth through through the drain holes?

I have not heard of an underlay (in the traditional sense) being used under artificial grass installs.

Thanks for the replies. Here's the grass I'm thinking of buying (note as this is for a balcony nothing deep/lush is required):

https://www.diy.com/departments/pad...l-grass-w-2-m-x-l-3m-x-t-6-5mm/1040303_BQ.prd

and here's the underlay I'll buy 'if' I need to:

https://www.diy.com/departments/artificial-grass-underlay-w-2-m-x-t-6mm/1213047_BQ.prd

it does say it aids drainage, however I've read on some sites you can lay the grass direct onto concrete (no underlay) if it's smooth and level, simply leaving some adhesive gaps around the perimeter to let water that's seeped through to drain out.

I don't have a pic of the balcony, however the outer edge doesn't have a lip at all so there shouldn't be an issue with water draining away.

Sponsored Links
The underlay link doesn’t work.

Personally I see little advantage for your install to use an underlay and would just put it straight down.

Might be worth popping into an independent flooring retailer and asking about Lano Artificial grass, may mean you can order what you need after thn fixed sizes.

Brief update on this. Decided to lay it without any underlay. As you mention Crazydaze, I couldn't really see the advantage and the grass I ordered actually has 100's of small rubber/spongy dots on the underside with is an added bonus for me, will aid drainage and give some additional comfort underfoot.

Laid it today, was a bugger of a job mainly due to having to cut around where railings meet floor etc. Pleased with the result though.

Laid mine onto concrete , you can get underlay but not really required.
It’s perforated do drains easily .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back