Asbestos and textures

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The law requires textured paint/plasters/finishes only to be removed by a licensed contractor when these coatings contain asbestos. Asbestos was in these finishes until the end of the 1980s. Tackling a job yourself (without getting a test to see whether it contains asbestos - labs in "yellow pages") will leave you risking you/your family's health and also leave residual contamination in your home. Seek advice from you local council. If you have already taken the texture off, a simple test can establish whether it contained asbestos and contaminated your home. Again "yellow pages". Cleaning the mess with a domestic vacuum cleaner would have spread the contamination throughout your home and still be doing it! Get the situation checked - and if it is bad news, you will also want to talk to your doctor. Sorry to be a bringer of bad news.

Sponsored Links
get your facts straight before you start scaremongering on this forum

PaulB said:
The law requires textured paint/plasters/finishes only to be removed by a licensed contractor when these coatings contain asbestos. Asbestos was in these finishes until the end of the 1980s. Tackling a job yourself (without getting a test to see whether it contains asbestos - labs in "yellow pages") will leave you risking you/your family's health and also leave residual contamination in your home. Seek advice from you local council. If you have already taken the texture off, a simple test can establish whether it contained asbestos and contaminated your home. Again "yellow pages". Cleaning the mess with a domestic vacuum cleaner would have spread the contamination throughout your home and still be doing it! Get the situation checked - and if it is bad news, you will also want to talk to your doctor. Sorry to be a bringer of bad news.

Exactly which 'finishes' contained asbestos, and what was the percentage of asbestos contained therein? What 'colour' asbestos was it? Please name the companies which produced these products. If you can't recall/don't know the companies involved, 'trade names' will suffice. Such an important issue demands your immediate response.

Sponsored Links
Hang on a min Thermo, this asbestos is funny stuff alright. I had an uncle who worked in the asbestos industry all his life and the post-mortem showed he was full of the stuff. It took three months to cremate him.

yes it is funny stuff. The dangers of it were realised in the early 1980s and as a result efforts were made to remove it from products. A lot of work was carried out in removing it in varios forms from that time on. It was used up to the early 1970s in artex and its derivatives but rarely in any other wall coverings and certainly not in wallpaper as mentioned on another thread. Its common use was in boarding and insulation, (mainly on industrial and large scale applications) and in fibre cement products such as water tanks. I could go on but im not sure if this is a well intentioned thread or a ploy so im off to watch top gear!

Thermo said:
dont think youll get one somehow.

No, I didn't really expect a reply - I just fancied shutting the ignorant @rs&h*l& up. What a tosser!

its one thing to discuss a topic after its started, but to place a thread like this on here when it is flawed in the information it gives on such an important topic is plain daft. I wouldnt be surprised if someone has links to a certain sections of ads in yellow pages!

Thermo said:
its one thing to discuss a topic after its started, but to place a thread like this on here when it is flawed in the information it gives on such an important topic is plain daft. I wouldnt be surprised if someone has links to a certain sections of ads in yellow pages!

I couldn't agree more! With regard to the problem with cremation, I'm an alcoholic, and my doctor says when I'm cremated it'll take three months to put the fire out! Presumably Paul B thinks that will also be an illegal health hazard. He's probably looking through the 'phone book now. I'll give him a clue; try Old f@rts, burning of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back