asbestos board and fireplace (moved from General Discussion)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an old 60's Gas fireplace removed from my living room this week and im pretty sure whats left is an asbestos board and possible asbestos around the flue. The board looks like asbestos board, the material around the flue seems to glisten in the light a little, looks a bit fiber like

I was thinking about putting a log burner or fake gas log burner in there but now im just tempted to remove the board on the floor and seal the whole thing up. its the dining room and is warm enough without a fire anyway.

I have had the house tested for asbestos and a few places have it including the soffits, but they weren't able to test behind the fires with them in place.

anyway whats the best method for removable of the board assuming its not sealed down and what about capping the chimney so i can just board it over?

IMG_20160630_222430.jpg

IMG_20160630_222440.jpg

IMG_20160630_222445.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back