Asbestos celling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In one of my bedrooms, the celling is artexed, someone with small fingers has picked at it and this has resulted in part of the celling coming away. To me it looks like someone has wall papered the celling and then stuck artex on top of it, it is between the joins of the wall paper that a crack has appeared and some flakes have come off it.

What I am concerned about is that my house was built in 1977, so I understand that there is the possibility that there may be asbestos in the artex? I'm at a loss as what I should do now, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I doubt its wallpaper under the Artex, it would never stick properly. It’s almost certainly one of the paper tapes you’ve exposed; they are put over board joints/cracks before the Artex is applied. There is a lot of hype & scare mongering going around & some are charging ridiculous amounts of money to strip it out but don’t be alarmed, if it does contain any contain asbestos it’s very small & is classed as low risk. It doesn’t need a license to strip just a steamer, wearing the correct filter mask & care but don’t start sanding it; you will have to dispose of it at a council depot. You’re far better off leaving it where it is & repairing the area with proprietary filler or get the ceiling re-plastered but you will need a spread that is familiar with the correct prepping & plastering over Artex.

I would just add that if you want to be sure you could have a sample tested for £30 or £40. Just take a small sample to a local enviromental lab that does asbestos testing. Or there are one or two that will do it by post - do a google to find them.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back