Worried about asbestos in Artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i sent off two samples of what I believed to be Artex wall coating to an asbestos testing company. The results came back as negative so yesterday I spent the day scraping the horrible stuff off my walls with a chisel whilst my kids played around me. I now have a terrible niggling feeling that it could contain asbestos as I know the stuff was put up before 1986. Do you think this looks like typical artex? I thought if it was made before 86 it would definitely contain asbestos.

Sponsored Links
It's been tested and came back negative.
Why are you worrying?
My house was built in 1056 and the artex in the ceiling doesn't contain asbestos, so your pre 1986 rule is wrong.

It's been tested and came back negative.
Why are you worrying?
My house was built in 1056 and the artex in the ceiling doesn't contain asbestos, so your pre 1986 rule is wrong.
Sorry, my house was built in 1956, not 1056...
My mistake :ROFLMAO:

because it pre-dates 86 don’t mean it definitely contains asbestos.
presuming you are preparing the walls to skim?

Sponsored Links
Yes, just taking the highest peaks off and then painting on febond blue grit.
I've no idea how old the textured coating is - the house was built in 1890 but my parents moved into the property in 1986 and it qas there then. So not all artex and artex type products had asbestos in then? That makes me feel better. Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back