Asbestos cleaning/overcladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Looking at tidying up the exterior of the house at low cost (probably next summer as im backed up with other jobs at the moment)

I'm 99% certain the boards in the pictures are low grade asbestos cement boards that have been painted.

What I'm not sure of is what I can and can't do safefully with this stuff. I can see the electrician quite happily drilled through it to supply electric to my shed though!

Can someone tell me if I am able to

a) clean it (short term)
b) overclad it with upvc (so fixing battens to it)

Sponsored Links
If you are truly concerned then wear a respirator when drilling the asbestos and use a water spray to prevent floating dust
You're in more danger of falling off the ladder.

If you are truly concerned then wear a respirator when drilling the asbestos and use a water spray to prevent floating dust
You're in more danger of falling off the ladder.

I am because I have no experience with it.

I have some P3 masks here I've been using when knocking stuff out as there is a fair bit of asbestos in the property and I'd rather not take a chance (albeit now it seems to just bee on the exterior; the fascias for example). I understand these are quite low content though.

I've generally tried to avoid where possible and overclad so I just want to ensure I'm taking the necessary precautions.

Silly question over silly mistake any day!

Sponsored Links
No questions are silly when seeking knowledge - though some answers are just plain stupid and unhelpful.

You may find the following helpful ;

http://www.aic.org.uk/asbestos_cement.htm[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

I'm curious as to whether the paint applied to it becomes contaiminated as a result of being in contact of the material. The information on it suggests the fibres are mostly sandwiched in the middle of the board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back