Asbestos & fire risks surveys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know whether this is the best section to post this but here goes.

The management committee of a small block of flats (of which I am a member) were not aware until recently that asbestos and fire surveys of the communal areas was an obligatory requirement.

We have been going round to get quotes but they vary quite significantly. We take the attitude that all we get is an uninteresting piece of paper to show we are meeting the rules and to just go for the cheapest. (And quotes vary considarably.)

However, as I understand it not all surveyors are created equal. The asbestos surveyor will have done P402 and will claim to follow HSG 264 but this does not necessarily mean a great deal. Not all companies mention they are UKAS accredited.

So the question is. How important is accreditation? Are there other checks that can be done to check the surveyor is competent?

On the basis of fire risk, I have been unable to find out anything about the minimum requirements of a fire surveyor. What qualifications and accreditation should I be looking out for?

Sponsored Links
Not sure about the Asbestos problem why not contact your local Council re Health and Safety
As for the Fire Safety contact your local Fire Authority (Fire Safety Section they will advise)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back