asbestos flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, how much does it cost for a plumber to take out an flue, and dispose of it?.
or would it be better to diy it, and dispose of it, at asbestos local County Council Waste & recyling?

Sponsored Links
It will cost a lot more for a tradesman to dispose of it as they will have to pay for correct disposal, and have a controlled waste transfer note for it as required by the EA. (More expense....)

You as a householder would likely get free (or cheap) tip at Civic Amenity site that accepts asbestos. Best advice is to ring your local authority and ask about asbestos disposal arrangements and cost (if any).

As I said before, dont break it if at all avoidable, any damage will release the fibres. There may be requirements for it to be wrapped in polythene before it will be accepted for disposal, but council will advise you what they accept.

there is no local authority in the UK, that will allow an unlicenced asbestos remover
to enter there premises with a lump of asbestos, wether broken, intact, in sealed bag or stuffed into a Lidl carrier bag :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Northamptonshire provides a subsidised service for the disposal of small quantities of bonded asbestos arising from domestic premises by the householder. After filling in the form to declare the origin and quantity, you are expected to take it to the facility provided, in accordance with their instructions, and upon payment it will be accepted for disposal.

Fife council allows householders to dispose of asbestos at some of thei depots. I know this because I just had to hire a van to drop off the asbestos flue from my Ma and Dads old warm air unit to the dump at Ladybank. The only stipulation from them is that any asbestos waste should be wrapped up.

Will second what hugh says and some in northants also dont charge a penny . By asbestos we are talking asbestos cement products , flues ,guttering ,water tanks , roof sheeting etc.

Heard of one poor guy in council house who cut bottom of boiler cupboard door lined with asbestos sheet.
A year later council guy notices it .
Flat gets condemned and all his furnishings etc got removed and disposed off with no compensation as he was not insured,

Will second what hugh says and some in northants also dont charge a penny . By asbestos we are talking asbestos cement products , flues ,guttering ,water tanks , roof sheeting etc.

Heard of one poor guy in council house who cut bottom of boiler cupboard door lined with asbestos sheet.
A year later council guy notices it .
Flat gets condemned and all his furnishings etc got removed and disposed off with no compensation as he was not insured,

being a Castlemilk boy Namsag you will understand my reticence to advise any householder to touch anything containing assy, ie, Red Rd flats
the whole of Sighthill, Cowcadens etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back