Is this likely to be asbestos flue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no idea how old boiler is, house is 1987. Need to replace boiler for new extension and I’m just wondering how likely this flue is to be asbestos, or concealing asbestos it looks like shiny white ceramic but I didn’t know anything about flues so I think it’s best to take advice. Thanks

Attachments

• 41820A85-575C-445A-83D8-5835EE1F3F48.jpeg
    41820A85-575C-445A-83D8-5835EE1F3F48.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 1D3AB006-570A-4C73-8956-2BA479518DF7.jpeg
    1D3AB006-570A-4C73-8956-2BA479518DF7.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 245
Sponsored Links
Arrange for an inspection to be carried out forthwith.
Cost is not an option over safety.
Make that call. :)
It might even be lead.:censored:

Looks like a normal metal balanced flue to me unless it was fitted by the biggest bodger of all time!;) Look outside should be a metal flue outlet, all standard stuff.

thanks for the reply, there’s a black flue outlet outside, looked either plastic or metal from the ground but is high up so I will have to get a ladder. So presumably if there’s metal on the outside that wouldn’t be concealing anything nasty inside?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a normal non asbestos balanced flue set up.
I would not worry.
P S You don't get smooth shiney asbestos even if gloss painted it is never smooth like plastic, metal or enamel it's slightly bumpy in appearance.
Do a google search for the fitting instructions for your model of boiler and you will see how the flue is constructed with an outer bringing in fresh air and the fumes going out the centre.

Thank you, that’s a good idea I will look it up.

Thanks I will get a magnet. Really appreciate the replies.

Its not asbestos you dont get asbestos concentric flues
Agreed, and even if it were it would be asbestos cement. AFAIK asbestos cement products aren't dangerous in use, as the cement binds the fibres, unless you do something rash like wire-brushing it and breathing the dust. I believe these products were phased out mainly because of risk to the workers making the stuff, including mining and transport of raw asbestos.

Looks like a suprima he.
Won't be asbestos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back