asbestos garage roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house i just bought has a nice big garage which i intend to use as gym.

However, im concerned about the corrugated asbestos roof. I had planned to paint the inside of the roof with some kind of sealant, is this a good idea? are there any other safer/better alternatives to this ?

any advice here would be appreciated :)

also, is it likely that over the years dust will have fallen from the roof and collected on the floor? if so, what can i do? obviously dont just want to sweep it.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
thanks ian, but i have already read that post and it doesnt really answer my questions as i dont intend to remove the asbestos at this time, i just want to seal it.

you can paint or pva the roof panels with no problem. (bit messy with pva)

As for the dust, if you think it could be a problem hose the floor down. But I don't think there would be too much a risk.

Remember to wear the correct protective clothing, ie: mask, ect.

Sponsored Links
I am looking to do the same thing with my garage roof as it is getting a bit old and leaky. Have so far sealed the roof panel joints with the black mastic roof sealent stuff and was considering treating the roof with Foamseal (http://www.foamseal.co.uk). Anyone have any experience of this product???????

that foamseal looks like a good idea, although quite expensive, i worry about how difficult it is to use, whether the area needs prepping (difficult with asbestos).

I was examining the roof yesterday, thinking about sealing it, when the biggest spider ive ever seen came crawling out a few inches above my face! put me right off.

You will probably find that what you think is asbestos roofing will be cement board and only have a very small amount of asbestos in it. If it looks a blue type colour or very light colour it 'may' be the bad stuff...

I have both types in my garage and a mate who is an asbestos analyst. His advice is just to seal it in paint and everything should be fine.

I think you should treat the stuff with a healthy respect but not get too paranoid. I bought my house form my granddad who put the asbestos up some 40 years ago. He drilled, screwed and did the whole thing. He's 90 now and is and hasn't developed any illness relating to this. He also swept the floor regularly as he used the garage as a workshop. If you have any specific questions let me know and I will ask my mate.

John

kipperfoot said:
You will probably find that what you think is asbestos roofing will be cement board and only have a very small amount of asbestos in it.
My workshop roof appear to look like cement boards. I will be renewing the roof later on this year, can I take the old roofing sheeting down to my local tip ? or do they have to be bagged up as well ?

The definition of asbestos cement is an asbestos containing material with a density greater than one tonne per cubic metre. It is not illegal for anybody to remove asbestos cement but it must be done properly. I would not advise anybody to touch it unless they have knowledge of the material and preferebly some experience. Removed asbestos cement products are still subject to the Special Waste Regulations and must be double bagged and disposed at a tip licensed to handle asbestos containing materials.

It's fine to seal or paint absestos cement but don't scrape it or rub it down. This is the one time you can go against all wisdom and paint over the dirt. There are also special products for sealing asbestos cement - one that comes to mind is 'fibrelock' by Liquid Plastics.

i just painted it with a good thick coat of masonry paint, looks fine to me now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back