Asbestos in the ceilings - cost of removal? - £4k enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're about to buy a bungalow that has approximately 100sq metres (990 sq ft) of ceiling and the surveyor reckons there is asbestos in the ceiling. Three bedrooms with two reception rooms.

I'm trying to get some quotes but the enquiries seem a bit slow at the moment.

Does anyone know of some rough cut figures for removal? I think there is too much to be able to dump for free at the local tip (although, the local tip does indeed take asbestos cement stuff).

And the cost of making good the ceilings (with plasterboard?) would be handy. Just rough figures.

Sponsored Links
When the surveyor says 'in' the ceiling does he mean artex type coatings? In which case the simplest and cheapest thing to do is get them skimmed. No need to remove all the artex.

Good point! Here's the surveyors words ...

The ceilings have a variety of coverings preventing a more detailed inspection of the underlying ceiling surfaces [although the bathroom ceiling is visible].

The ceilings within this property maybe formed from man-made board. We are concerned that this board may contain asbestos cement. Materials of this type were often used in properties constructed during the 1940s and 1950s. Whilst in their current form these ceilings are unlikely to present a danger to health, we would advise that it be removed and replaced, particularly as the presence of asbestos ceilings will, in our opinion, present problems at the point of any future resale. Furthermore, during the period of your ownership workmen visiting the property, for example electricians, may not be prepared to cut or drill through these ceilings.

ACTION

Prior to exchange of contracts arrange for a licensed contractor to attend at the property and to provide you with an estimate to strip out and remove all areas of asbestos to the ceilings within the property. The estimate should include licensed disposal of the material and replacement of the ceilings with modern plasterboard together with full reinstatement of finishes.

Basically, I met the guy on site when he'd done the survey and he said looking at the bathroom I can see asbestos material so his assumption is that if it's used there it's probably used across the entire ceiling.

Asbestos-cement board ceilings. Fireproof, practically everlasting. :D

If that's what they are, of course, as the surveyor hasn't actually taken a sample for testing, so you could pretend it's not asbestos if that makes you happier.

If you pull them down it will be a major major job, the amount of muck that accumulates above ceilings is unbelievable. Plasterboard over (ie under!) them if you want to.

Sponsored Links
If you pull them down it will be a major major job, the amount of muck that accumulates above ceilings is unbelievable. Plasterboard over (ie under!) them if you want to.

Yeah, major jobs I can handle. It's a rough cost estimate that I'm after.

I am NOT an expert on asbestos, but have recently been through a similar performance.
Removing asbestos will be costly, but depends on the type.
In many cases there is no need to remove it, just a requirement to manage it.
Determine exactly what your surveyor is saying; what has he "identified".
If it is Artex or cement board, there is no requirement or point in removing it. Overboarding or skimming and drawing the attention of any future workmen to the situation is all that is needed.(A "notice" is useful) Most work of a domestic nature would be do-able within the normal asbestos working requirements without significant risks or costs. Small work without massive exposure can be undertaken, but many are not conversant with the requirements and become scared as soon as the word is mentioned!
There does seem to be an industry based on asbestos scares and recommending unnecessary removal.

We just purchased a house and had a similar experience; we had decorative square panels on the ground floor ceilings and two bedrooms. The survey said the panels ‘could’ contain asbestos.

Once the sale went through we had it tested and it was asbestos cement board, the report said its low level (2 out of 10) just a cement board with traces of asbestos. This sounds like what you have.

The report said it was not recommend removing it and recommended we do not disturb it in the rooms where it’s in perfect condition. In the bedroom it was in not so perfect condition (I think a foot had gone through the ceiling a few times and it had been patched up and covered with artex). These ceiling they recommended covering with new plasterboard and plaster, this is what we have done. Also the basics were don't try and cut it with power tools!

The report cost £200 and inspection was carried out on the whole property including the garage, the roof of which had the more dangerous kind. Though again they suggested that we do not disturb it.

And a Fair Price inspection - For London :idea: Care to leave a link ;)

Cheers for all the comments.

We decided that it would be a good idea to get some inspection done, but before we could arrange any quotations we had electricians in quoting on a rewire. So we asked them about it and how they would cope (they would work around anything they find, such as putting sockets on a different wall).

So we went ahead with the rewire and they pretty much pulled the place apart. No material that they suspect contains asbestos at all.

There is a lot of bum information about asbestos. The dangerous stuff is what was used on pipe insulation etc and turns to dust as you touch it, thats why a lot of plumbers and shipbuilders have died of it. Asbestos cement sheet is OK to handle if you apply common sense, for at least 10 years when apprentice and after in the 60's every garage roof was "big 6" asbestos cement sheet, and we used to cut it with power saws without masks, and I don't know anyone who has suffered from this and I am 70 years old with no breathing problems at all. So, the secret is, treat it with respect and get some one qualified to check what type it is, and don't assume if its sheet its OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back