Asbestos in the roof etc.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else on this forum.

I am moving house in a couple of months and the home buyers report has advised that there are asbestos panels under the garage roof tiles in a serviceable condition and also at eaves level of the main roof.

The flue to the gas fire is also constucted of asbestos.

The questions I have are
a: should I be worried about the presence of asbestos (the report did not say that action needs to be taken, just gives advice that if we choose to replace we need to get a licenced contractor).

b: should the asbestos panels be replaced?

The house was built early/mid 80's

Thanks in advance

Dan

Sponsored Links
If the asbestos is in good condition and not likely to be disturbed then don't worry about it.

80`s - wouldn`t it be fibre/cement rather than asbestos/cement @ that age :confused:

a home buyer report is mayby and might be
asbestos is every ware as long as you do not desterb it you are ok and if you do the cement based id not that bad (well it is but instead of getting hit by train you getting hit by a car it all kills) if you have to remove it just take it as and use the propa ppe (disposable glove mask ect)

Sponsored Links
Just a quick update for anyone that may be interested.... Work on asbestos cement is non-notifiable, and therefore does not need to be carried out by a licensed contractor.

Chrysotile (white) asbestos was not banned in the UK until November 1999, so it would not be unusual to find it in an 80s property (my house was built in 1996, and the undercloaking to the roof tiles is asbestos.)

Do you know if samples have been taken and laboratory tested?

There is no other way to reliably tell between asbestos cement and non-asbestos board (Even experts get it wrong visually)

If it does though, not a problem provided you don't disturb it. Certainly don't replace it unless you need to for another reason.

This is a good place to start reading and a lot saner than the tabloid reaction to the stuff; http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back