Asbestos or not? Help required....

I've just demolished a 1930s garage that had an asbestos cement sheet roof. I won't bore you with all the stupidity but you'd think I was trying to dispose of nuclear waste, the way the jobsworths at the tip reacted when they heard the A word. They aren't clever enough to be entrusted with judging between dangerous asbestos and asbestos that's almost completely encapsulated within a cement sheet so everything defaults to a major hazard. A nightmare, altogether.

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected - never knew that!

But yeah, very very unlikely. I get frustrated at ill-informed hysteria from all angles whenever this stuff is mentioned. It's the extreme end of the stories supposedly blamed on "Health and safety gone mad" - often no truth or bad interpretation of the facts.

If anyone can recommend an asbestos lab that would be great...they don't really seem to be springing up on google
I do a part time job in an asbestos lab :idea: Just send me a small sample in a sealed envelope and enclose a £50 note :mrgreen:

Update to this, from a friend of mine with a handy electron microscope

The chimney breast was uncontaminated vermiculite, well done to those who picked it

The kitchen tile fragment I sent him as an afterthought was chrysotile

Marvellous :( I've been hacking these up for a few weeks off and on

Here's a slightly reassuring article

http://ibe.sagepub.com/content/14/1/83.abstract

I hope so

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back