Odd material in fireplace - asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm currently trying to tidy up a fireplace in a 1950s flat. There was a reproduction cast iron fire covering up the firebox, and it looks like there used to be a heating system using the fire it as there are two old copper pipes that have been hacked off at some point.

Anyway I was surprised to see this big lump at the back of the firebox (back right as you are looking at it). It looks like mortar that has been added at some point (perhaps to fill another hole) though not sure why the shape is the way it is. It contains sand when you crumble it between your fingers.

I was about to just knock it off to see what is behind, but then I thought that there might be a risk it contains asbestos. Do people have any thoughts on whether I am being overly cautious here? Thanks for any pointers.

Cheers, Tom

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back