Asbestos Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m overly anxious about this so wonder if anyone would put my mind at rest.

I’m renovating my soon to be born daughters room and I had a family member die of asbestos related disease (he was a builder for 40 years 1950s-90s)

I am stripping wallpaper. I decided low asbestos risk in plaster because:

- it looks like larthe and plaster. It’s pink on 2 walls and yellow on the other 2. Thoughts the pink stuff is plasterboard but the old socket looks like lathe behind.

- house built in 1939.

- not near a kitchen so not sure why they would choose asbestos plaster.

from what I’ve read, it’s almost unheard of for asbestos plaster in domestic gypsum/lime plaster.

I’ve just been scraping it and covered in dust and started worrying again.

if anyone can reassure me I’m being stupidly over cautious I’d appreciate it. I’ve tested a couple of other things but thought it over the top to worry about the wall plaster.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Asbestos in plaster in the UK would be really unlikely, even old reinforced plaster like Victorian cornice or very old Tudor plaster will normally use Horsehair or organic fibres like Hessian Jute etc.
There is no reason to use asbestos for fire protection unless it is a boiler room or similar and even then usually it is in sheet form.

The only likely asbestos plaster in the UK is plastered on asbestos pipe insulation, that thick coating you see in factories, ships boiler rooms, in films, that is nasty stuff if damaged but I have never come across it in a domestic house.
Asbestos-Encapsulation.jpg

There is always the possibility of textured Artex being skimmed over (often on ceilings) a stupid idea in my view as you can drill into it for down lighters etc without knowing it is there, but even if it was skimmed just scraping the surface of the new plaster would not put you at risk.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand how you are getting plaster dust on you from stripping wallpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back