Asbestos question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a small (1m) length of asbestos guttering on an outbuilding. It's been assessed and is 'very low' risk if undisturbed, but we'd like to have building work done on that area. The material is Chrysotile.

It's at a fairly low height (3m?) and were it not asbestos would be about 10 minutes with an angle grinder and a bin liner to remove. Information online seems a bit undecided about whether ANY asbestos removal is a job for a pro or whether some of it is not that bad as long as you don't smash it up.

Any thoughts or expert opinion would be very useful! Does this need a professional company or is it DIY-able?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What did the assessment say what the risk is if you disturbed it i.e. removed it?

How do you plan to dispose of it once you have removed it?

Well I guess that's a difficult question for the survey to answer as it would depend how gentle you were in removing it. I understand some councils will take some kinds of asbestos if properly bagged etc, though I haven't actually confirmed if our local one does.

I've approached the company that did the survey for a quote for removing it, I'm just interested in knowing if it's realistic to do it yourself so that I know what I'm judging the quote against.

Sponsored Links
Well I guess that's a difficult question for the survey to answer as it would depend how gentle you were in removing it. I understand some councils will take some kinds of asbestos if properly bagged etc, though I haven't actually confirmed if our local one does.

I've approached the company that did the survey for a quote for removing it, I'm just interested in knowing if it's realistic to do it yourself so that I know what I'm judging the quote against.

It's straightforward enough to remove as you know but if you have no way of disposing of it through proper channels you're a little stuffed

I would be phoning your local tip if I were you.....

I sure as hell wouldn't use an angle grinder.
It's held up by screws somehow, the brackets are probably metal. Just unscrew it.
Cover your arse and wear a decent mask, disposable suit if you like, and if you have to cut it, do it wet.
It's potentially dangerous only if you treat it badly.

My tip required it to be double wrapped in thick polythene. Roll it up with the ends folded over, Duct Tape and repeat.
I had to book an appointment and take ID.
Make sure that they know it's domestic and from your house.
I offered to dispose of my neighbour's and it got complicated.

Further to Tigetcubrider - before doing anything to the asbestos, damp it well. That greatly reduces the chances of fibres becoming airborne

I sure as hell wouldn't use an angle grinder.

Ha, just to be clear.. the asbestos drain pipe is supported by a length of normal steel angle iron which I thought I might cut off in preference to having to do anything to the asbestos directly. I’m not proposing to attack the asbestos with power tools.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I’ll consider my options once I get a quote for the professionals doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back