Asbestos rope behind 1960s fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Recently knocked out an old tiled fireplace, I guess from 1960'a. Behind it where it met the chimney breast I found some rope which I suspect might have been asbestos. Wasnt wearing a mask until i saw the rope and suspect i breathed a bit in. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Got me freaked out a bit. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'd have to seriously disturb the rope to release the fibres - Having used the stuff back in the day - best thing to do is ...... if it's still attached to the fireplace, make a solution of PVA and water, soak the rope and leave to set - that'll bind it all together

Hi there.

Recently knocked out an old tiled fireplace, I guess from 1960'a. Behind it where it met the chimney breast I found some rope which I suspect might have been asbestos. Wasnt wearing a mask until i saw the rope and suspect i breathed a bit in. Has anyone ever heard of this before? Got me freaked out a bit. Thanks
Just wet it and remove it to bag and stop worrying.
It’s a horrible death though.

Heat-proof rope is sold widely for use in stoves, mostly as door seals. It doen't contain asbestos.

Sponsored Links
I very much doubt you would have any issues from one exposure, its more people who work with it over and over for years that get asbestosis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back