Asbestos Rope

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

I have what I believe to be asbestos rope around a central heating grille in my 1963 property.

I am going to get it tested but wanted to know:
1) What type of asbestos is in rope
2) Is asbestos rope deemed to be friable
3) Do I need to get a contractor in to remove it if it is asbestos

Thanks,

Rob

Sponsored Links
The asbestos regulations are very complicated but you can look them up.

You seem to be being very cautious or perhaps making a mountain out of a molehill.

Getting a sample tested will probably cost around £500.

A small builder/handyman will probably take it away for £50 !

Sponsored Links
£39.99p was the cheapest I could find it but you have to remove the asbestos yourself and then double bag it in plastic bags and send it off. If you use the right PPE and dampen the item before trying remove it, that is the advicegiven on the site that I looked at, then you should be okay. Long term exposure to asbestos is really the danger. The problem is not getting it tested the real problem comes when you have to get rid of it. If you get people in to remove it then the costs will spiral.

https://www.bradley-enviro.co.uk/services/asbestos-consultants/asbestos-sample-testing

Most asbestos in the home is of little consequence if not disturbed.

But where it becomes a real problem if trying to sell a property known to contain asbestos! That can reduce the cost by many thousands.

Reminds me of a loft space in a tower block in Brighton that I visited with the council officials. It was all "sealed off" because of asbestos with warning notices. The officials just pushed them all aside so that we could go inside!

I used Pennington Choices, though it's £25 +VAT. You have to remove it yourself on all of these postal services, that's the point.

Nozzle

I am surprised that they encourage people to remove samples!

Getting a "handyman" to remove any asbestos is not the right way, are they licenced to dispose of it? will they have the correct equipment to ensure no contamination/health issues for them and the household etc.. Also will they just dump what they remove somewhere or in a skip etc.. potentially causing health issues to some unknowing person(s)

Some local councils will accept small amounts of asbestos if sealed correctly, guidelines followed etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back