Asbestos soffit conundrum....................help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've recently bought a place with about 25yards, (sorry, meters), of soffits & facias.
Problem is twofold.
Although in good codition, structurally, the soffits are desperately in need of a re-paint but have been identified as being asbestos! I don't want to sand these down, life is too short, so it's been suggested that I merely get them cloaked with uPVC sheets. I have no problem with this, (I'm DIY ignorant after all), but this would make the facias look tired. Should these be cloaked also?
If the answer is yes on both counts, how do I 'finish off' half way along where the property becomes my neighbour's?
Would appreciate any advice,
in anticipation,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Yes do both. Make sure you are not covering rotten fascia though. Just stop the fascia soffit on the dividng line.

the soffits are desperately in need of a re-paint have been identified as being asbestos! I don't want to sand these down

I wouldn't do anything that causes dust from the asbestos :!: Still open for debate how deadly the stuff is, but I'd err on the side of caution. If you need to drill it I'd wear a mask.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Jaleak,
I'm hoping to get away with just covering it as opposed to replacing it....................I just don't want to have to touch it.
Just a thought......what if I got someone like Anglian or Everest to quote for the work as they're always offering silly seasonal discounts, (I know, I know), but if they notice it's asbestos would they tell the relevant authorities?
Any thoughts?

Slime.

I completely replaced my asbestos soffits with PVC a few years ago and I'm very pleased that I did..

As as been said, I would make sure that you were wearing a proper mask just in case there is any asbestos dust released. Seek expert advice or even better get experts in to do the job.

The company who replaced my soffits didn't make much of an issue of the fact that they were asbestos - They told me (rightly or wrongly) that while you need to take precautions, the white asbestos used for soffits and asbestos roof tiles is nowhere near as dangerous as the blue asbestos that used to be used for lagging in many heavy industries and power stations....

This website certainly agrees with them :

http://www.thefreesociety.org/Artic...t-asbestos-deception-does-this-sound-familiar

I completely replaced my asbestos soffits with PVC a few years ago and I'm very pleased that I did..

As as been said, I would make sure that you were wearing a proper mask just in case there is any asbestos dust released. Seek expert advice or even better get experts in to do the job.

The company who replaced my soffits didn't make much of an issue of the fact that they were asbestos - They told me (rightly or wrongly) that while you need to take precautions, the white asbestos used for soffits and asbestos roof tiles is nowhere near as dangerous as the blue asbestos that used to be used for lagging in many heavy industries and power stations....

This website certainly agrees with them :

http://www.thefreesociety.org/Artic...os-deception-does-this-sound-familiar[/QUOTE]

Correct, your white soffit boards are AIB and, once the fascia has been removed, you can remove the pieces individually whole. Still use caution though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back