Cowboys or not Soffits,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cowboys or not? Facia, Soffits & barge boards

Please help we are having a dormer loft conversion to our house. The guys have fitted the facia, soffits, & the barge board to the side of the dormer. I'm really worried they are cowboys as the facia, soffits & barge boards look different to my next door neighbours dormer.
My neighbour's house is the one with the brown barge boards & soffits & facia.

Please see photos as you can see they have put a sheet of UPVC which I'm calling the soffit? That goes into the facia then flat onto the dormer tiles finishing just above the windows. At one end the soffit has a gap see photo. I don't understand why they have done this? But will pull them up on it tomorrow.

They have also put what I'm calling barge boards? On the side of the dormer but the board doesn't go down and under the tile in an L shape like it does with the neighbour's barge board. Also as you can see from the photo one of the barge boards has been cut where it meets the box end for some reason? But the other side has not been cut. The box end is also not level.

This is all worrying the hell out of me. As we don't want problems with the roof. Any pointers in the above would be very much appreciated. I can also take more photos if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6300.JPG
    IMG_6300.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_6305.JPG
    IMG_6305.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6301.JPG
    IMG_6301.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_6302.JPG
    IMG_6302.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6292.JPG
    IMG_6292.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 364
Sponsored Links
It's just a bit untidy, I think 'cowboy' would be a little harsh. Just needs a couple of extra corners on the sides. They've just used flat board on the sides instead of fascia with a return lip, maybe because the roof doesn't extend out far enough. I'm not sure why the extra piece down from the soffit though. Maybe saves on the lead. Have a word with them and see what they say.

Untidy, somethings out of level across the front.
Make sure they finish the area where the the dormer butts the chimney.. Mastic is not acceptable.
There is a top course of tiles missing still under the chimney apron. plenty of damaged tiles etc

The flashing showing under the vertical tiling makes me think there are no soakers fitted . Cover flashing alone isn't ideal

Note the neighbours where the vertical tiling cuts to the pitched roof..

Typical Jack of all trades job Imho

Now why aren't the tiles level on the front of the dormer. They either rise towards the RH side, or the roof slope downwards. They've then had to trim the side boards differently.

I think cowboys may well be apropriate.

Sponsored Links
It's just a bit untidy, I think 'cowboy' would be a little harsh. Just needs a couple of extra corners on the sides. They've just used flat board on the sides instead of fascia with a return lip, maybe because the roof doesn't extend out far enough. I'm not sure why the extra piece down from the soffit though. Maybe saves on the lead. Have a word with them and see what they say.
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by just needs a couple of corners on the side?

Untidy, somethings out of level across the front.
Make sure they finish the area where the the dormer butts the chimney.. Mastic is not acceptable.
There is a top course of tiles missing still under the chimney apron. plenty of damaged tiles etc

The flashing showing under the vertical tiling makes me think there are no soakers fitted . Cover flashing alone isn't ideal

Note the neighbours where the vertical tiling cuts to the pitched roof..

Typical Jack of all trades job Imho
Thanks for the pointers I cannot see any mastic on my side of the chimney? I have already pointed out to them that the broken tiling still needs replacing around the side by the chimney. I have not heard the word soakers so will look that up.

Now why aren't the tiles level on the front of the dormer. They either rise towards the RH side, or the roof slope downwards. They've then had to trim the side boards differently.

I think cowboys may well be apropriate.
My biggest concern is water getting in & causing damage. Do you think by them cutting the boards it will make it easier for water to penetrate? Or cause damage to the rafters etc?

I dont think any waters going to get in, as it should drip downwards at each stage, but the right hand side has not been properly done, and will either need a lot of mastic to fill the wavy gap, or as Roofline has said, they could do with taking off the RH board, fitting a lipped piece to it, and that would then tuck under the soffit at the front as it goes back in place. I think it's shoddy work all round, and should be checked over. They've a few things to sort out, and it could well be that everythings porly done, but okay, but looking at the quality of the work, I'd query the bill, as they're not going to want to do much remedial work to make things right.

ignoring the tiling down the side of the chimney if it was your house what would you get them to do when they return to work on Monday? As I would rather get issues that could cause me problems later sorted out now before the scaffold is taken down. Thanks for the advice guys it's appreciated.

Anyone know why the have put a board below the soffits? As that's concerning me too.

Thanks for the pointers I cannot see any mastic on my side of the chimney? I have already pointed out to them that the broken tiling still needs replacing around the side by the chimney. I have not heard the word soakers so will look that up.
You cant see mastic yet , There is no weathering system employed there at all. ..soakers should be used here too along with associated flashing.

You cant see mastic yet , There is no weathering system employed there at all. ..soakers should be used here too along with associated flashing.
Thanks datarebal
I dont think any waters going to get in, as it should drip downwards at each stage, but the right hand side has not been properly done, and will either need a lot of mastic to fill the wavy gap, or as Roofline has said, they could do with taking off the RH board, fitting a lipped piece to it, and that would then tuck under the soffit at the front as it goes back in place. I think it's shoddy work all round, and should be checked over. They've a few things to sort out, and it could well be that everythings porly done, but okay, but looking at the quality of the work, I'd query the bill, as they're not going to want to do much remedial work to make things right.
thanks will see what they have to say

Another photo looking up at the board that's been cut. Also on do you think the left hand side of the soffit that has a gap at the end is ok? (See 2nd photo) How about pests getting in?

Attachments

• IMG_6303.JPG
    IMG_6303.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_6304.JPG
    IMG_6304.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 183

Anyone know why the have put a board below the soffits? As that's concerning me too.
That was going to be my question, it's obviously there to cover something that shouldn't need covering.
Something has clearly gone wrong with the coursing of the tiles. the left side the capping is flush to then corner tile the right side it is up on the next course, hence why they have had to cut the "barge board" to shape. something is out of level. Either the coursing of the tiles or the fascia and soffit, my guess is the tiles , hence why the first tile in from the right hand corner, under the flat capping has been cut to length. Initial appearance it looks OK, closer inspection shows it's a bodge.
Apart from the chimney and roof abutments It doesn't look like it will leak.
as to those who knows, as Datarebal says there should be soakers under the tiles on the pitched roof and at the chimney abutment with a cover flashing

Last edited:
That was going to be my question, it's obviously there to cover something that shouldn't need covering.
Something has clearly gone wrong with the coursing of the tiles. the left side the capping is flush to then corner tile the right side it is up on the next course, hence why they have had to cut the "barge board" to shape. something is out of level. Either the coursing of the tiles or the fascia and soffit, my guess is the tiles , hence why the first tile in from the right hand corner, under the flat capping has been cut to length. Initial appearance it looks OK, closer inspection shows it's a bodge.
Apart from the chimney and roof abutments It doesn't look like it will leak.
as to those who knows, as Datarebal says there should be soakers under the tiles on the pitched roof and at the chimney abutment with a cover flashing
chappers I agree I think they are hiding there rubbish tiling. Cheers for the help.

Some more photos before they put up the facia & soffits. 1st & 2nd photo's show close ups of the tiles around the small bathroom window. They did add a 2nd course of tiles over this tile. I took this photo as the cut is messy & you can see the batten behind the tile in the gap. At the time I was worried about water getting into the gap. But I guess a 2nd course of tiles will sort that?

3rd photo shows the guys fitting the battens to the dormer sides. And you can also see the tiles have been fitted from the bottom going up.

Attachments

• IMG_6296.JPG
    IMG_6296.JPG
    162.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_6297.JPG
    IMG_6297.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    173 KB · Views: 178

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back