Asbestos Soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

just had a complete nightmare. Was planning to install soffit ventilation and was drilling with my holesaw but it wasn't going in very well. Withdraw to attack again, still going no where, then I realised that the bi-metal hole saw teeth were getting hot. Odd me thinks so I take a closer look at where I had been drilling, its not wood, is it metal no, its asbestos. :eek: :oops: :eek:

Having done some hasty investigation it could either be asbestos insulation board (AIB, contains brown asbestos) or Asbestos cement board (ACB, only containing white).

Now I know that this is a complete newby error and am very unlikely to suffer long term ill health as a result of a single exposure but I would like to work out whether this stuff was AIB or ACB. I spoke to someone who worked on the house when it was built in 1971 and he says he's 95% certain that it would be ACB and given that it was so hard to cut I reckon its got to be ACB and I would have gone through AIB very easily indeed.

I've since showered, thrown away the T-shirt, gleaned everything with baby wipes and sealed the board with araldite. Panicked and then calmed down. :oops:

Anyone got any thoughts about the AIB or ACB issue or anything else I've written.

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
1971 Definitely 100% ACB... . I started on the building then. Smoked Players Gold Leaf, got in roofspaces with " monkey Dung" -Asbestos lagging. Still ok. now. so far. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back