Asbestos survey needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm buying a 1930s semi detached house which I plan to do some building work on.
I'm wondering whether it would be wise to get an asbestos survey before buying the house. However the house has a conservatory that was built around 10 years ago which would have involved removing an external wall when it was built. So Im wondering whether a survey is needed since presumably if there were asbestos present it would have been found when the conservatory was built.
I'd be interested to hear from anyone with any knowledge or experience in this area.

I don't have any specific reason to suspect the presence of asbestos other than the age of the house.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A subsequent build is no indication an asbestos survey has been done, less likely than more.

I would check the usual places, loft, asbestos sheet near flues, soffits, floor tiles.

If you dont see anything, maybe a survey isnt worth doing.

Have you had a regular survey? If so then it is their job to spot possible asbestos and then recommend a survey.

In general asbestos was used a lot more after WW2, with inter war houses using traditional matierals. However it does turn up in non standard construction houses.

Sponsored Links
Problem with a Valuation [or indeed most other] is that surveys there are so many "get out clauses" in all Surveyor reports that unless the Surveyor looks at a layer of what appears to be Asbestos sheet on the back of a door somewhere it will not be flagged in the report.

As Notch7 any and all previous alterations will not be any sort of a safeguard that Asbestos material is still or has been present.

There is no [legal] requirement for a house holder to have an Asbestos Survey undertaken, different for a Commercial Property.

In your O/P if you have no reason to expect to find Asbestos I for one would not waste money on a Survey.

As an aside have you tried to google the properties in your area asking a similar question? may be worth a look?

Ken

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back