Asbestos??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, im currently decorating a bedroom in my house and it has this completely horrible "stiply effect" artex on the ceiling, i have no idea if its 5 years old or 50 years old (ive only lived in the house for 3 years, but its unlikely that the previous owner had it done recently)

so im just wondering if someone could tell me if they think theres asbestos in it? im putting up a plasterboard ceiling over the top as its a lath and plaster ceiling and i dont want to disturb it.. but to do this im either going to be battening wood into the joists above or im going to be screwing the board directly into the joists... either way this requires drilling so im wondering if you think it will be safe... i have added some images for anyone who might be skilled in asbestos awareness

Sponsored Links
I had something that looked very similar in my house on the ceilings. I tried removing it with a wallpaper steamer, and it basically melted and turned to rubbery goop and peeled straight off leaving a nice smooth ceiling. Worth a try. Otherwise, why do you need to batten the ceiling? Why not just mark where the joists are above and screw plasterboard directly? No drilling required. If it's lathe plaster, the wooden lathe will take plasterboard screws well anyway, so you wouldn't even need to find the joists

Thanks for the tips, the only reason I didn't consider plaster boarding straight into the joists (which I have already marked out) is due to the thickness of some of the stipple effect I didn't think I would get it even...

Also if it is asbestos, isn't wetting it with a steamer the worst thing u cn do? Or did I read wetting it is the best.. I'm unsure now..

Sponsored Links
try holding a piece of plasterboard up to the ceiling, the stipples will probably dent the underside and it'll be flat. If asbestos is wet it is fine, because it binds the particles, asbestos is only dangerous if it becomes damaged and forms dust that you can breathe in, so steaming is perfectly safe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back