Ash staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had an ash staircase fitted.How would you treat this?

I want to treat and protect hopefully, without darkening appearance.

Sponsored Links
best with a natural oil or wax but the wood will darkin as all treatment will enhance natural wood grain , same old tip though try it on a sample if u can

Avoid cheap linseed oil, but linseed or tung oil would be ok, and for wax, this is handy stuff, and doesn't use solvents.

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep it light I would avoid oils, A waterbourne acrylic lacquer will be harder wearing and not darken the wood. Something like Dulux Diamond glaze or Barfords Aquacote will do, I use the Aquacote for a lot of my furniture, here and here are a couple of items in ash.

Jason

Thanks for the info.

Cracking pieces of furniture Jason!

With regards to this Aquacote,which 1 should i get, and how should igo about lacquering the stairs,prep and application?

The diamond glaze will be easier to obtain from ant Dulux trade stockist but the aquacoat comes from Barfords unfortunatly they no longer have all the details up on their web site but ask for an info leaflet. Both will cost about £50 for 5lts.

I apply it with a 4" paint pad, rubbing down between coats with 320g silicon carbide paper, usually 3 coats are enough and it can all be done in one day.

Jason

Jason, u have been a great help. Thanks for your time. I will post picture when finished, or if i need more help i know where to come.

There is one other thing. Could i use this on pine skirting. Again, i don't want to darken too much.Hopepully to look like Ash colour

Don't see why not, I've used it on maple, oak, ash, sapele, sycamore, beech, ebony,etc all came out fine.

Jason

Worth getting the Aquacote then, works out about £56 for 5lts inc VAT and delivery.

Jason

Worth getting the Aquacote then, works out about £56 for 5lts inc VAT and delivery.

Jason

Hi Jason, could you tell me how I contact Barfords to buy the Aquacote please, I have looked for them on line and had no luck, our new Ash stairs are being fitted at the moment, I will protect them, until I can treat them. many thanks G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back