Ashphalt or concrete? any ideas welcome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Desperately need new drive. Have old patched and cracked concrete.

Can anybody advise please

Ashphalt how long before it needs major maintainance?

Patterned concrete looks good but needs resealing every year, and is there a way of getting round the fact that it is very slippery? My neighbour inherited one and cannot get to the car on a wet day without hanging on to the wall, and the window cleaner won't put a ladder up to clean the windows. My brother has one and I have slipped on it twice and the slope is much less than my existing drive.

Block paving lets the weeds through quite quickly and sinks eventually ( I used to be a courier and saw many horrible block paved drives).

I have heard of bonded aggregate driveways where clear epoxy resin is spread on a concrete sub base and natural stone aggregates set into this, can be done in a day apparently. Only seen photographs, looks good but has anyone out there had any experience of this surface.

I remember a time when we only had a choice of concrete or ashphalt for hard standing both cheap.

Sponsored Links
moneypenny said:
Block paving lets the weeds through quite quickly and sinks eventually

Cobblers! If its done properly it wont let the weeds through and will last for years.

freddymercurystwin said:
moneypenny said:
Block paving lets the weeds through quite quickly and sinks eventually

Cobblers! If its done properly it wont let the weeds through and will last for years.
very true.........but it don`t stop the seeds sprouting that have got into the joints from above ;) that`s whay many people think weeds are coming up "through".......when you was couriering you must`ve unintentionaly followed a travellers driveway gang ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back