Asphalt Roof - Repainting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mastic asphalt roof which was painted a few years back with (white) Solarflex paint (apologies if wrongly spelt).

The paint is now beginning to peel and wear and I wanted to renew it.

Questions.

1. How best to remove the old paint? burn it off?
2. Should I be looking to remove all the paint back to the asphalt or can I leave the areas that look sound.
3. Prior to applying new solarflex paint, does the roof need to be washed properly. Will water and a good sponge (or brush) do.

Many thanks for any info provided.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
you only need to remove the loose stuff, give it a brush off with a stiff brush to remove any moss and dirt, then a soft brush, then re-paint.

alastairreid:
you only need to remove the loose stuff, give it a brush off with a stiff brush to remove any moss and dirt, then a soft brush, then re-paint.
Many thanks for your reply.

The existing paint on the roof is very dirty, will brushing it be enough to allow the new paint to stick.

Cheers

if you feel it needs a scrub by all means........make sure its thoroughly dry before re-applying the paint though.

Sponsored Links
Armed with a pair of Marigolds, a bucket of water and a scrubbing brush, I clambered onto my main roof for a test.

The results were disappointing. I tried scrubbing a small area (1 square foot). It too ages and was not effective.

Apart from the fact that the existing paint has considerable dirt on it, the main problem was that the paint is cracking but still adheres to an extent. I would not call this paint sound as it can be removed with a filling knife. It was hard work and was still not successful.

The roof measures 30' by 15' and has large areas which are in the state described above where the paint is cracking but still adheres.

On other areas of the roof, the situation is worse with the paint curling up (exposing the asphalt) and is even harder to remove by way of scrubbing.

Is there any other solution for removing the unsound paint other than scrubbing? What about using a blow / gas torch.

Any further info much appreciated.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back